6 Mental Health Resources in the Madison Area

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As September comes to a close, we’re also wrapping up awareness months for various important issues: Hispanic heritage, childhood obesity and pulmonary fibrosis—just to name a few. That doesn’t mean we should stop caring, though; in fact, it should mean quite the opposite.

Suicide prevention awareness is one on this list that people have been pushing in recent years. With the release and popularization of Logic’s song, 1-800-273-8255, it’s obvious that mental health and suicide are real issues that confront our our society. The issue is especially prevalent in college campuses: suicide is now the second-leading cause of death for college students. In honor of Suicide Prevention Awareness Month, here is a list of services that the University of Wisconsin-Madison offers.

1. UHS 24 Hour Crisis Counselor

You can call 608-265-5600 (option 9) at any time if you or someone you know is thinking about suicide.

2. UHS Individual Counseling

If you would like to talk to someone one-on-one, you can schedule 45-50 minute sessions with a counselor from UHS.

3. UHS Group Counseling

Group counseling allows you to connect with others who may feel the same way. The environment is safe and confidential.

4. UHS Wellness Services

UHS offers various relaxation services, including yoga, acupuncture and massage therapy.  

5. Journey (Madison Crisis Line)

If you are in the Madison area and are experiencing suicidal thoughts, call 608-280-2600. This is always available.

6. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

The national number 1-800-273-8255 is available 24/7.

If you or someone you know is at immediate risk, always call 911. Remember, asking for help is the first step towards the right direction. It is not a sign of weakness or vulnerability—it demonstrates a great amount of strength. Suicide and mental health are difficult topics to talk about, but they make for extremely important discussions. Don’t stand back and ignore what is happening around you— you never know what those around you are experiencing in silence.

Chloe Billstrom

Wisconsin '20

A junior studying Sociology, Spanish, and Global Health who also has a love for writing and languages.