This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Want to see something scarier than your midterm grade? Rumor has it that our campus — from lecture halls to libraries — is actually haunted AF. You could be in for a real treat this Halloween. Now, who’s ready to do some ghost-hunting?

1. Science Hall

Although now home to the Department of Geography, this red brick building used to house the Department of Anatomy and stored spare body parts and skeletons in the dusty and forgotten attic. Now, there are reports of objects moving by themselves, unexplainable noises permeating the building, and bats flying in the hallways. The fourth floor is also said to be the hotspot for a male presence who tries to make himself known after students discovered an embalmed foot and bones from a “tall man” left behind in the building.

2. Memorial Library

Hate to break it to you, but apparently, Helen C. White likes Memorial Library more than her own building. She has been spotted roaming the stacks of library books and dropping “good reads” right at the feet of students. There’s also an unidentified woman by the name of Sally Brown who has been known to whisper her name into unsuspecting students’ ears. Lastly, if you think you’ve spotted some movement out of the corner of your eye, you’ve probably encountered the third unidentified shadow spirit. I’d say that’s a pretty good excuse to not study ever again.  

3. Memorial Union

There have been sightings of an elderly woman, dressed in 19-to-20th-century clothing, roaming the staircase between the first and second floor. The spinning hands of watches and clock on the second floor also calls for a somewhat intimidating feeling. It will terrify anyone within its wake.

4. Wisconsin Union Theater

A few tragic deaths has been said to have triggered unexplainable switches (i.e. turning on and off) of the sound booth lights — talk about an eerie feeling!

5. Bascom Hill

Remains were accidentally dug up here, some speculated them to be remains of a burial ground. Bascom Hill has ever since been known to be one of the more active paranormal sites on campus. People have heard whispers and spotted apparitions — as if we needed another reason to avoid hiking up Bascom Hill.

6. Picnic Point

Come on, who’s really surprised? Legend has it that Picnic Point used to be home to a family of witches. After stealing children, they were cursed and turned into Hackberry Trees that rest at the very tip of Picnic Point. Every now and then, you can hear a scream or moan that lets us know they’re still here.

Another spirit, famous Madison architect August Kutzbock, has been spotted around Picnic Point in a mist form after committing suicide at there. It’s said that he floats out toward the Capitol, where he had left some unfinished architectural business.

Madison is a city filled with history. From bars to libraries, every building has a story that lives on. Although Friday the 13th has passed, you still have plenty of time to let these dusty areas psych you out before Freakfest rolls around. Happy hunting!

Raven is a junior at UW-Madison majoring in Retailing and Consumer Behavior with certificates in Digital Studies and Entrepreneurship. She will be studying abroad at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia the Spring Semester of 2019.Until then, you can find her at any cafe within a two mile radius of UW-Madison watching The Office/ googling photos of Labrador Retriever puppies with a coffee in hand (unless it's monday night because that's reserved for the Bachelor).