The 6 Best Books to Curl Up with in the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s hard to believe, but winter break is about a month away! Reading may be the last possible thing you would do during winter break, but definitely give one of these six books a chance! Reading is a great way to give your mind a break from looking at a screen all day. It’s always the right season to read, but these six books are especially perfect for the winter. This list includes most things, from fantasy to thriller — there has to be at least something for every kind of reader.

1. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

The adventure and romance in this book make it perfect for winter. Diana Gabaldon describes quaint villages and vast open plains that can easily be pictured with falling snow and a chilling Scottish breeze. The main character, Claire, gets trapped in Scotland in the 1750s; but with her medical knowledge and quick wit, she is able to survive and make a living for herself. She meets the dashing Jamie Fraser who teachs her about Scottish customs. Outlander is perfect for winter because it’s an exciting, fast-paced story with unexpected twists.  

2. Life after Life by Kate Atkinson

Many of the critical scenes and important parts in this book take place in winter. The main character, Ursula, dies at many different occasions during her life, but gets to live again each time. For example, she once fell from a window one time in the winter and dies; from then on, her life goes on in a not-so-typical fashion. Life after Life is a perfect book for winter and anyone that loves historical fiction.

3. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

The Girl on the Train is great for winter because it’s all about secrets and mystery. The mystery is the girl on the train is and the person she’s watching. She holds secrets and can see private moments of other people’s lives — she knows their secrets, too. The Girl on the Train is a great book for anyone who likes thrillers and mystery.

4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

You may have read this book in your high school English class, but it’s definitely worth reading again. This beautiful tale of a young German girl in World War II is both heartwarming and  heartbreaking. Even though The Book Thief is usually for a younger audience, the themes and subtleties of this book will please older readers, too. Get ready to laugh and cry. The Book Thief is touching and sentimental—a perfect read for winter.  

5. A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin

You have seen the show and have heard all about it online, but Game of Thrones actually started out as the book series A Song of Ice and Fire. If you love the show, you will love reading these books, too. You learn so many more details of the story that are left out on television. Even if you haven’t seen the show, these books are great for anyone who loves adventure, political tension, backstabbing, secrets and fantasy. Why is this book for winter? Well, winter is coming.

6. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Similar to The Book Thief, you may have read this book years ago and have forgotten about it by now. Little Women is a classic novel about four young sisters and their coming of age as they learn about life and love. This is an easy read and is perfect for winter, when you’re around family and friends.

This is just a small sample of some of the great books you can read during winter. These books may make you excited or sad; but in any case, they are perfect books to curl up with by a roaring fire and under a big blanket, especially when snow is falling outside.

Katherine is a senior studying Communication Arts and Journalism.