55 Halloween Costumes to Try This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner, so that’s a valid excuse to dress up and have fun. That said, it is also the time of year when everyone is on the prowl for the perfect Halloween costume. Are you going solo, as a couple or as one big gang of friends? Sexy, silly or cute? Luckily for you, I have compiled a large list of Halloween outfits. So you are guaranteed to find at least one idea that you will love — without spending hours scouring the internet!

Riding Solo

Going out with friends but can’t decide on a common theme for the group? Go solo!

1. Wonder Woman

Nothing says girl power like Wonder Woman. There are tons of these costumes in stores, and they also make for super easy DIYs — just check Pinterest. JCPenney also has cheap Wonder Woman T-shirt dresses and bodysuits.

2. Crazy Cat Lady

It’s funny, cute and cozy. Bring out the inner crazy cat lady that you know you are.

3. Rosie the Riveter

Again, girl power! Who runs the world? Girls! She’s strong, iconic, cute and classic — the power combo for one heck of a sick costume. All you need is a red bandana, a jean button up and some red lipstick.

4. Fidget Spinner

This wouldn’t be an updated list of costumes without this one. Make one out of cardboard — it would be quick and easy.

5. Deadpool

Deadpool costumes aren’t just for guys — we loved the movie just as much. “Captain Deadpool! No, just Deadpool.”

6. Boxer

Knock ‘em dead with this costume! Major KO.

7. Bud Light Year

Costumes involving word plays are the funniest. To the bar and beyond!

8. Unicorn

Do you feel the sparkle between us? This is one magical costume, and you can use that fancy highlighter to its max ability.

9. Cowgirl

Lasso the hotties in. We all have flannels in our closets; so you just need to braid your hair, and you can call it a day.

10. Goddess

This costume is a major win because you can reuse it for toga parties!

11. Smartie Pants

You’ll be the smartest person in the room. DIYs are my favorites because they’re cheap and fun to make. Tape Smarties all over — you’ll also have candy to eat afterward.

12. Scarecrow

Three simple items: a flannel, straw hat and jeans! It’s simple and quick but still really cute. You can also really show off those makeup skills of yours with this costume.

13. Any Superhero

SuperGirl, Batman, Iron Man, The Joker, Spider-Man; the possibilities are endless.

14. Mermaid

Swim away from your studies for the night.

15. Playboy Bunny

Try this one out unless, of course, it’s 40 degrees out.

16. Regina George 

“On Wednesdays we wear pink.”

Squad Up!

Get the crew together for Instagram and Halloween shenanigans. #SquadGoals

17. Lilo and Stitch

“Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.”

18. Sully and Mike

You’ll bring the energy to the party.

19. Winnie the Pooh

Where my honeys at? A quick DIY for an amazing costume with your group of friends.

20. Disney Princesses Gone Wild

Take the mugshot of your dreams in the happiest place on earth.

21. Spongebob Crew

Who lives a pineapple under the sea? You can add all the other characters to the group too!

22. Blair and Serena

XOXO, Gossip Girl.

23. Mario and Luigi

FYI, adding a fake mustache is optional.

24. Wizard of Oz

Follow the yellow brick road!

25. Grey’s Anatomy 

Bonus points if you have a McSteamy. “It’s A Great Day To Save Lives.”

26. Game of Thrones

We all know someone who is obsessed with Game of Thrones — probably ourselves, to be honest. Anyways, they’ll appreciate this one.

27. Zombies

Halloween is supposed to be scary, right?

28. Dancer Twins Emoji

You and your bestie are basically twins already, so be the dancer twins! Go ahead — dance the night away!

29. Angel and Devil

Are you and your bestie complete opposites? Is one always pulling the other into being partners in crime? Your party is tonight but you don’t want to go as sheet ghosts? If you said yes to any of these, this is the costume for you!

30. Beanie Babies

Cute, warm, cuddly and cozy. What more could you ask for?

31. Franzia

This one is for all of you wine lovers out there.

32. Drunk 1 and Drunk 2

So basically just another Friday night with your best friend.

33. Frat Boys

We all know guys who actually dress like this daily.

34. Dark Angels

This is a good one for those of you worried about spilling on your white angel costumes.

35. Victoria’s Secret Angels

It’s cute, it’s sexy — and it’s an excuse to buy a really cute robe.

36. Tequila Lime and Salt

Trick or Tequila!

37. Your Favorite Drinks  

Drink up, witches!

38. Netflix and Chill

Your typical Sunday night.

39. Baywatch

Ask a hottie if he needs mouth to mouth if you’re feeling brave enough!

40. Orange is the New Black

Nothing beats dressing up as your favorite character of your latest Netflix binge.  

41. Taylor Swift Personas

This one is a unique idea that hasn’t been done yet. Each person can be their own Taylor Swift from her music video “Look What You Made Me Do.”

42. M&M’s

Any candy lovers will appreciate this one.

43. Pretty Little Liars

Frightfully boo-tiful…-A

44. Baseball Players

Hit a homerun with this costume!

45. Football Players

First and ten, Wisconsin!

46. Hooters

Owls are technically Halloween animals, right?

Lovers Costumes

You and bae could be the cutest couple in town with these costume ideas.

47. Police Officers

Hands up for being too sexy!

48. Allie and Noah from The Notebook

“If you’re a bird, I’m a bird.” Talk about the most romantic couple of all time.

49. Hunter and Deer

There are so many deer makeup tutorials on Pinterest that you can try out.

50. Adam and Eve

Again, I’d save this one for a warm Halloween.

51. Sandy and Danny

“Better shape up, cause I need a man!” Grease… such a good ‘ole classic.

52. Bam Bam and Pebbles

It’s everyone’s favorite cartoon babies.

53. Firefighter and Dog

It’s getting hot in here!

54. Jack and Coke

Some may call it the perfect pair.

55. Tooth Fairy and Dentist

I think I have a sweet tooth… for you.

Finally, here’s a useful chart for you to find the perfect Halloween costume:

Hopefully, you found at least one costume that you love. If you found more than one, good luck narrowing the choices down — I, for one, will have trouble picking just one. A lot of these costumes have good DIY variations. You can also make some of the solo costumes into group costumes, and vice versa. Maybe you could even add a creative twist to these costumes for something completely new! Have a spooky and candy-filled Halloween!

Laura Dirk

Wisconsin '21

Hi! I am a senior at the University of Wisconsin - Madison studying biology. I am crossing my fingers to get into vet school to continue my education and follow my dream! Follow along my rollercoaster of college with me through my articles, learn new tips and tricks, learn from my mistakes, be inspired!