5 Ways to Stay Energized Before Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The new semester vibes have faded, Valentine’s Day is over, and Spring Break is way too far away; but that doesn’t mean the next weeks before break has to be dull. Here are five ways to stay energized in Madison until Spring Break rolls around!

1. Find windows!

Sunlight does wonders for the Wisconsin weather-induced “winter blues.” For your next study sesh, check out the SAC (Student Activity Center) on the third and fourth floors of 333 East Campus Mall or the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery. Locations with floor-to-ceiling windows and plenty of workspace will boost your spirits and productivity.

2. Get outside!

The weather this time of year goes from balmy to brutal in approximately 5 minutes. Take advantage of any nice days. Go for a run along Lake Monona, skip the bus and walk to class, or explore downtown Madison— because, let’s be real, the restaurants and stores have probably changed since the last time it was nice out. The Union and different student orgs also organize a plethora of events; check out “events near me” on Facebook and see what’s happening. Anything to get you out and moving makes this time of year significantly less dull.

3. It’s okay to stay in too…

Keep fun indoor activities in mind when the outside elements don’t really work out. And no, studying doesn’t count. Whether it’s watching a movie, having a spa night with friends or binge-watching that one show you’ve seen four times through, make time for fun in between midterms.

4. It’s all about what you eat

There are many foods that I associate with carefree, summer times. Many fresh fruits and vegetables (some of which you see at the farmer’s markets at the Capitol Square) are in season all year round, and it will do wonders for your mood this winter. Citrus fruits such as clementines, grapefruits and oranges all bring a little sunshine to your everyday life.

5. Daydream a little

I promise, your time off (perhaps at someplace warm) isn’t that far away! Make the time pass a little faster by planning future travels or by checking out your favorite store’s spring and summer collection. You can even pretend it’s not below zero outside: going swimming at the Natatorium or wearing your favorite sunglasses while walking to class will do the trick.

The slump before spring break hits every college student; this is especially true in cold, snow-covered Madison. Try not to let your anticipation for Spring Break prevent you from taking advantage of what this season has to offer. Even if you cannot bring yourself to embrace the cold, hang in there — only a few months until we all get to thaw!

Allie Helein

Wisconsin '21

Sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying Dietetics and Psychology