5 Ways to Spend Your Halloweekend in Madison

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Anyone who knows me knows that I sleep, eat, breathe Halloween the entire month of October. It’s truly the most wonderful time of the year for me, and in my completely unbiased opinion, Madison does Halloween better than anywhere else. There are so many options for things you can do to get in the spooky spirit and I highly endorse all of them.

1. Freak Fest

If you’re into live music, lots of fun costumes and the general fun vibe of State Street, then Freak Fest is a definite can’t miss. Marketed as “the region’s largest annual Halloween party,” Freak Fest is always a good time, and definitely something everyone should see at least once. You can find tickets in lots of different places around campus, including the bookstore.

2. Haunted House

There’s nothing like not only agreeing to let some people in costumes scare the living daylights out of you, but willingly seeking it out and paying for it! There’s a reason that these haunted house attractions stay in business though- it’s fun! Some good old scare your pants off fun. There are a number of options relatively close to campus. I have gone the last two years, I guarantee it’s a SCREAM (get what I did there?) If you still have your doubts, I highly recommend checking out some videos of Ellen sending her executive producer Andy to haunted houses with various special guests (Ariana Grande anyone?). Guaranteed fun.

3. Trick or Treat

Hear me out. As someone who hosted trick or treating in her dorm last year, it can be done and it’s a lot of fun. This year my apartment has had a candy bowl out all month, and it really just makes people happier. It’s candy, how could it not? A great and non-conventional way to trick or treat is also to Trick or Treat for UNICEF. The process includes bringing the little orange box with you and going door to door asking for spare change instead of candy, then sending those donations in to UNICEF to help millions of children around the world.

4. Movies

Who doesn’t love a good, cozy, movie night? For October there’s nothing better than a scary movie, a fuzzy blanket and some popcorn. If you’re looking to be SCARED, some of my favorites are Sinister, Scream, Carrie, and The Conjuring. If you’re in the mood for something less scary and more fun, check out some classics like Halloweentown, Hocus Pocus, or The Nightmare Before Christmas.

5. Party

And of course, you can head to a Halloween party! The decorations, the music, the snacks- it’s all good spooky fun. Whether you’re throwing the party or just a guest, make sure that you’re in costume, because otherwise what’s the fun? There’s only so many times in your life where you can put on whatever crazy costume you want and it’s still socially acceptable to be out in public. I ask on behalf of the crazy Halloween lovers (like me), if you’re going to the party, please don’t kill the vibe by “going as yourself.”

There are so many options to keep the spooky spirit going all weekend long! I hope you all have a fun (and SAFE) Halloween this year, and while everyone may not share my deep rooted love for Halloween, I guarantee there is something for everybody.

Katie Semack

Wisconsin '21

Katie grew up in New York City and is a senior at University of Wisconsin- Madison studying Political Science and Communications. Her favorite pastimes include doing yoga, watching Golden Girls with her puppy, Gatsby, and empowering other women. 
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.