absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

5 Ways to Make Your Coffee Environmentally Friendly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Coffee…something that more than a billion people rely on. With it being such a hot commodity, it also can leave quite the environmental impact. But fear not! There are some easy changes you can implement to make a difference!

Bring Your Own Cup

The coffee industry goes through an insane amount of plastic and paper cups. Upwards of 20 to 30 billion coffee cups are disposed each year! Insane. Cut of your contribution to this number by bringing in your own travel mug or tumbler. Most places even offer you a small discount for doing so!

Use a Metal Straw

Along with bringing in your tumbler or mug, you can also bring in your own straw. These straws are dishwasher safe and endlessly reusable. Some brands of tumblers even include a metal straw with the cup. This is really a great way to sip on your iced coffee with a lesser environmental impact!

Use Paper Straws

I know strawless is not the way for everyone. Some people prefer the straw – it’s less messy than sipping while on the go. Well, let me introduce to you paper straws! These guys are eco-friendly and they look neat. You can buy 200 of them for only $7.99 here! I highly recommend these if you still like the feeling of a straw and want to avoid the mess of sipping, or keeping a metal one in the car that you’ll have to wash.

Buy your coffee local

Do yourself a favor and buy your coffee local. Not only will it be more fresh, but you are also buying in to roasters who aren’t causing gas emissions from lengthy transportation. Do some research and find coffee shops to use who also buy their beans local, or roast their own!

Put down the straw stirrers and napkins

It’s almost of habit to grab all the “extra” stuff. You know, the pile of napkins, stir sticks, sugar packets, coffee sleeves, and even the carrier. While these things may be essential at times, they are not usually all necessary at the same time. Take a moment and check what you really need – and make sure to use it! Don’t let that stuff go to waste if you’re going to take it.

By following these few simple steps, you can still enjoy your delicious coffee while also making less of an environmental footprint on the world. Try one of these environmental hacks the next time you go and buy coffee!

Marci Mitchell

Wisconsin '21

University of Wisconsin, 2021. Magazine journalist, fitness junkie, health and wellness enthusiast. Lover of Jesus, people, and buffalo chicken. Will do anything for an iced americano. Come join me at: Instagram: its_marcimay // Twitter: marcimay29
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.