This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Certified cures for a gloomy day

Undoubtedly, as a global society, we have all faced challenging times in the last few years. Together, we survived a pandemic, which is no small feat. Personally, surviving months in lockdown with my family is an accomplishment that cannot be beat. No matter what you have been through or what you are currently facing, we all need a pick-me-up from time to time. I am here to tell you that it is okay to not be okay. 

With that being said, I am also here to lend a helping hand. Sadly, I will be unable to lend you my psychological services, as no one in their right mind would license me. However, I do come bearing my highest recommendations of television series that will definitely make you smile. From heartfelt moments to cheesy jokes you cannot help but laugh at, these shows have it all. Thus, I present to you, in no particular order, five TV shows guaranteed to boost your serotonin levels.

1. Schitt’s Creek

As someone who has watched this entire series at least a dozen times, I cannot express how incredible this show is. Whether you have seen it before or you have never even heard of it, Schitt’s Creek never fails to provide a laugh. Following the Rose family who find themselves stranded in a small town (Schitt’s Creek) after a corrupt business manager leaves them bankrupt, this show evaluates topics such as friendship, perseverance and sexual identity. Plus, if you are in search of a watch with deep character development, this is the show for you. As a completely unbiased third party, I fully recommend this show…did I mention that it’s my favorite?

2. Parks and Recreation

Calling all opinionated, strong-willed feminists, Leslie Knope has got your back! Parks and Recreation plays on the documentary-style comedy while following up-and-coming political office holder Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler). The trials and tribulations of her co-workers and herself at the Office of Parks and Recreation are shared through short 30 minute episodes. For my fellow busybodies short on time, this series will be easy to work into your schedule. Additionally, if you enjoy The Office, Parks and Rec will be right up your alley.

3. Brooklyn 99

Brooklyn 99 is perfect for crime junkies who are hoping to break from sad tales of true stories. It is hard to find a person who has not seen the classic “I Want It That Way” cold opening. If you are one of those people and I have managed to find you, go watch it now. You will never regret taking the time to enjoy the top tier humor accompanied by Brooklyn 99. This series follows a detective squad at the 99th precinct in Brooklyn, New York City. From cases to chaos, watch it all unfold before you.

4. Heartstopper

Unlike the last few recommendations, Heartstopper veers away from the category of humor. Instead this series is better described as a coming-of-age romance. Centered around the budding relationship between two male classmates at a U.K. secondary school, this is a great fit for those interested in shows with LGBTQ+ representation. An exciting new take on a classic romance, this show always leaves you feeling warm and fuzzy. Moreover, it is only one season, so if you have commitment issues, problem solved.

5. Derry Girls

For those of you searching for Irish humor, look no further than Derry Girls. Taking place in Northern Ireland, this comedy observes five friends in the 1990s facing the most daunting thing the world has to offer: high school (secondary school). The out-of-pocket acting and blunt humor makes it impossible not to smile while watching. If unique and quirky is what you desire, then this is the series for you. Plus, with a new season coming out on October 7th, now is the perfect time to give it a try!

Whether you will be watching alone or plan on holding a viewing party, these shows will provide the perfect entertainment. So wrap up in the nearest blanket, grab your favorite snack and “treat yourself” to a good show. No matter who you are and no matter what you have been through, you deserve it.

Kendall Callery

Wisconsin '26

Kendall is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a Managing Editor for UW's Her Campus chapter. Writing is a way for her to share her bold takes and unique personality. Not only is she a perfectionist at heart but she is also a coffee, baked goods, and horror movies addict.