This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The “best years of your life” have to start sometime… keep reading to find tips on surviving your first week of college!

Make friends in all your classes

You say you’ll never skip classes now, but eventually you’ll oversleep your 8am and need notes!

Stay on top of the readings

You may think that you can catch up on the readings this weekend, but I promise you that you cannot! Keep up with the readings now to avoid cramming at the last minute.

Don’t have too much fun

You’re on campus!! No parents!! New friends!! All these new opportunities are hard to say no to, but you need to remember why you’re here (hint: its to get an education!) Have fun, but make sure to stay on top of your studies.

Check the library to see if your textbook is in the reserve sections

Textbooks are expensive! Check your library’s website (click here to access UW Madison’s) to see if the book is available so you can save some money!

Start making a routine for yourself

The sooner you start making a routine for yourself the better! College is a huge adjustment, but using a planner and sticking to it will help prevent you from feeling overwhelmed!

There’s a reason why so many people sing songs and make movies about college- its awesome! Finding a balance between studying and fun is the key to succeeding and leaving college (somewhat) stress-free!

Rachel Hietpas

Wisconsin '20

Rachel is a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is double majoring in political science and economics, and hopes to attend law school after her bachelors degree. Her passions include reading, drinking coffee, and dog-watching!
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.