5 Tips for Dealing with Homesickness until Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

There’s only a little more than a week left before Thanksgiving, but that doesn’t mean it’s an easy time. Midterms, essays, projects and perhaps even feelings of homesickness are piling up. These feelings are completely normal, though; so here are some ways you can deal with them until Thanksgiving:

1. Facetime your friends

Is there anything better than video calling friends who live far away? It’s the next best thing to talking to them face-to-face. There’s no quicker or easier way to make you feel less homesick. If you can, get a group together for a video conference — it’s can be better than talking to just one friend.

2. Call home

Calling home is always a good way to catch up on what’s going on with the family, especially right before Thanksgiving. It can ease your homesickness by boosting your confidence and drive to finish up the weeks leading up to the holiday. Also, it’s just a much-needed break from homework and anything school-related.

3. Go out

Get out of your apartment and away from school. Let loose as much as you can before finals and go party with your friends. Going out can take as much or as little effort as you want. If  it means going to a crazy, loud, fun party, that’s great; if it means grabbing a nice dinner with friends, that’s great too.

4. Have a night in

Have a night in to relax and take a break from everything you have going on this month. Spend some time by yourself, or get a group of friends for a spa night and mega movie marathon. Anything that helps you relax and de-stress is a good idea.

5. Throw yourself into Homework

If all else fails, just throw yourself into doing homework and try to disregard any feelings of homesickness. It’s probably not the best coping method for emotional health, but doing so will keep your mind off anything you are missing about home. Do your best to finish up essays and big projects before Thanksgiving so you won’t have to worry about them when you’re home.

In any case, the best tip for avoiding homesickness is to rest assured that the holiday is right around the corner. Hopefully, this means going home and seeing your family!

Katherine is a senior studying Communication Arts and Journalism.