5 Things You Should’ve Learned After Your First Month of Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

There was so much buildup to the first month of college, and it’s hard to believe that it’s already over! Although everyone’s experience varies, here are five things that every freshman should know after this month:

1. Do not dress to impress

I will say this again and again—no one is looking at you. Save your nice clothes and makeup for going out and fun activities on the weekends. You’ll realize that almost everyone’s normal weekday outfit consists of running shorts, leggings and t-shirts—and that’s okay! There’s no point to spend time on planning outfits and putting on a full face of makeup when you could be studying, working out, spending at least a few extra minutes to relax or catching up with a friend.

2. Give yourself time to walk to class

I definitely made this mistake one too many times my first month. “Oh, I’ll wait 10 more minutes” is not going to cut it. Figure out exactly how long it takes to walk to each class and add 10-15 minutes onto it. If you happen to be on the early end, that’s okay! It’s better to get to a class 15 minutes early than to rush in late while stressed and sweaty. Save yourself from the embarrassment of having to climb over people for a set.

3. It’s okay to cry

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an occasional breakdown! There is so much to take in when when you first start college—you barely have time to process any of it! Everything is new and imminent, so it’s easy to get caught up and feel absolutely overwhelmed. If you need to let it out, do it— it doesn’t make you weak. Everyone’s probably on the same boat. No one is going to judge you or think less of you.

4. FOMO is alive and real

It’s easy to set restrictions for yourself— but it’s easier said than done. Sure, you said you won’t go out on Thursdays because of your early Friday discussion; but trust me, it gets a lot harder when you’re constantly see groups of people on the streets heading out to parties and bars. As hard as it is, you need to realize that you’re not actually missing out. There will always be another night, and there will always be someone that is not going out! A good solution is to find a friend (or friends) who are also studying. Have fun with it—get dinner or order takeout and make sure you take occasional breaks. Study while having fun with the people you love— you can go out the next day when you’re well-rested and all responsibility-free.

5. Social Media is (usually) a lie

I recently had a friend tell me that she doesn’t even watch Snapchat stories anymore because she can’t stand the thought of all the people having fun without her. I can relate to this very much because Snapchat stories have always made me feel the same way; it made me feel as though I was missing out on something big. What people don’t realize is how one-sided it all is—someone could be having a terrible night and still be Snapchatting a party they’re at because the atmosphere is fun! Nobody posts on social media about how they have just cried for an hour, how homesick they are or how they’re in a fight with their best friend. Everyone has problems, and it’s not like they’re going to post them on a public platform for everyone to see! Almost everyone’s social media profile(s) makes it look as though every minute is filled with sunshine and rainbows—don’t let it deceive you!

College is crazy, but it’s still one of the most exciting, fleeting times of your life. Have fun with it, and don’t sweat the small things!

Holly is a junior at UW-Madison studying Strategic Communication with a Digital Studies certificate. She is originally from Minneapolis, MN, loves iced coffee, indie music, and warm days on the terrace, and has watched the entirety of The Office three times. She is a Managing Editor for HC Wisconsin and will be heading to London this spring for a semester abroad!