5 Things to Know Before Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Studying abroad is usually described as the best part of the college experience, but actually, getting ready to study abroad is a whole different story. On top of managing your work for the semester, you have to get ready to leave the country in a few months. Even though getting ready to study abroad is stressful, there are definitely ways to make it a little easier on yourself.

Start Early

Some programs have application deadlines a year or more prior to the start of the program. If you have your heart set on studying abroad in a certain country or during a specific semester, make sure you check out the application early.

Plan, Plan, Plan

When you’re studying abroad, chances are you’ll have some opportunities to explore nearby cities or countries. To fully take advantage of your semester abroad, plan day trips out in advance.

Create a Schedule

Lots of study abroad programs have a class requirement in addition to your regular coursework. Create a schedule with important deadlines so that you don’t fall behind.

Make a Packing List

Deciding what to pack to study abroad can be tricky, especially if it’s a country you’ve never been to. Figure out what you absolutely have to bring and what things you can buy when you arrive. You don’t want to get off the airplane and realize you forgot something you can’t live without.

Enjoy Your Time Now

Studying abroad often means saying goodbye to your college friends and family for a few months. Make the most of your time before you leave by spending quality time with your friends and family.

Taking time to prepare for studying abroad can definitely be a hassle, but in the end, it will make the entire experience so much easier. Even though it’s hard work, the work you do now will all feel like a bad dream when you’re having the time of your life abroad.

Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.