5 Things I Learned While Rushing as a Sophomore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As recruitment week is coming to a close, I can reflect on how it was for me to go through recruitment as a sophomore. For those of you who aren’t aware, recruitment is a week in which thousands of girls try to find where they fit among 12 sorority houses on campus. It is quite an exhilarating week, and it ends with bid day in which you go running to your new sorority house. I learned a lot about myself and about the process; these are the five things I learned while rushing as a sophomore:

Everything happens for a reason.

I did not rush my freshman year; therefore, rushing as a sophomore, I was scared that I was putting myself in an uneven playing field. Yet, having everything work out for me made me realize that life works out exactly how it’s supposed to. If you try your best, everything will work out for the best.

It’s never too late to do anything. 

I learned that you’re never too old, too inexperienced or too shy to do anything. Rushing sophomore year made me realize that everyone does things at their own pace; just because you did something later than others, doesn’t mean it’s the wrong time.

Just be yourself. 

With hundreds of other girls around you trying to get the same house as you, it’s important to maintain who you are and be confident in that woman. There is only one version of yourself, and that version is amazing; when rushing you shouldn’t try to alter who you are to fit what you think the mold is. Being you is what makes you unique, so you should stay true to that.

We all want to fit in. 

Regardless of what sorority you end up in — or if you go through the whole process of rush — we all are in it together for the ultimate goal of fitting in and finding your group. It’s comforting to go through the process and realize everyone is in the same boat as you and just longing for a group to make the campus feel smaller.

Putting yourself out there is scary, but so worth it.

When you’re rushing, you may feel scared or intimidated because you’re talking to so many people and putting who you are out there. In the moment, it may feel weird or awkward, but you realize the only way to get yourself to do things in life is to get out of your comfort zone. Once you put yourself out there, only good things can come.

Regardless if you are apart of greek life or not, rushing has taught me some valuable lessons and has made me grow as a woman. Just remember, if you end up ever rushing or not, that it is never too late. But, the most important thing is to remember that you are enough, and to never stop putting yourself out there.

Sofia Drotts

Wisconsin '22

My name is Sofia Drotts, I am a freshman at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I intend to major in Psychology with a concentration in criminal justice. I speak Spanish and I am from the city of Chicago. My interests include photography, writing, reading and listening to music.
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.