5 Things I Learned During My First Month at UW-Madison

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Going to college for the first time always seems incredibly scary, especially when it comes to attending a college with over 40,000 students. Every freshman thinks they know what they are getting themselves into. They know that school will challenge them physically and mentally, but nobody really tells them the extent at which they will be challenged — and in which ways. As a freshman who is one month into this new world of “college” at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, here are the most important and most unexpected things I have learned, which many freshmen and incoming freshmen can relate to. 

Keep the dorm rooms open! 

When you move into your dorm, the first people that you meet and hang out with are those that are on your floor. Keeping your door open allows others to say hello from the hallway or you to say hello to those passing by. An open door acts as an invitation to let others in, and people will immediately associate you as someone they can be friendly with and talk to. Keeping your doors open isn’t just a first week of school thing either. I recommend keeping your door open whenever it is convenient for you throughout the entirety of the school year. 

Be active. 

As much as you think you are too busy to take on anything additional outside of classes, the city of Madison offers so many things to do. Instead of studying inside, go to Memorial Union and sit on the Terrace, or sit in the grass on Bascom Hill. Take your homework to a local coffee shop or cafe, ride the bus across campus and find a study spot that you love, or simply get your work done in the dining hall. Libraries are a great way to sit and get a lot of work done while getting a change of scenery in a calm environment. 

Don’t be afraid to talk to people. 

Although talking to someone can be intimidating, everyone is very open to making new friends. Every freshman is in the same boat — they don’t know anybody either and are equally as nervous to meet new people as you are. Talking to the people that sit next to you in your classes, are sitting alone at the dining halls, or are even walking the same way with you to class are all examples of people you can get to know and become friends with. 

Know what’s going on. 

In college, especially as a freshman, it is incredibly easy to be unaware of what’s going on in your classes and the community you live in. I have found that keeping planners or making to-do lists immediately makes your life ten times easier in terms of keeping track of assignments, essays, projects and exams. Outside of the classroom, knowing what events your school offers is also beneficial as there are often club, internship and job fairs. In Madison, there is always something going on.  

Get involved. 

Joining a sports team or extracurricular club is a great way to meet friends, experience things and even learn something new. The school offers over a thousand clubs, and if there isn’t one you like, you can create one yourself. Clubs are a great way to clear your head and focus your energy into something positive. They help you become better with time management skills and help you find a passion or interest.

Although entering college can be a scary and nerve-wracking time, these five things that I have learned can certainly help make the transition into the university a lot easier and enjoyable. A good balance of being open to new people and experiences, joining clubs or organizations, being active and knowing your schedule can truly change your views on college. Try to enjoy every second of it, because even though I am only one month into school, it has been the quickest yet most enjoyable month ever.

Hi my name is Ashley Eichstaedt and I am a freshman at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I am from Waukesha, Wisconsin and love to write!
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.