This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

What to explore as the weather gets warmer

It’s getting to be that time of year when the birds start chirping and people begin to wear shorts above 50 degrees in Madison. I love spring and spending my time exploring the city and community. I wanted to share a few of my favorite things I have found so far in my first year here.

1. Farmers’ Market 

I am a farmers’ market connoisseur, so when I first visited the Dane County Farmers’ Market at the Capitol I was in shock. It was simply a paradise. There is so much variety in things to purchase and people to see. Some of my favorite products are the fresh flowers, the delicious pastries and, of course, the famous hot and spicy cheese bread. Anything that is purchased at the Farmers’ Market is sure to be worth the money. It is also a great place to walk around with a morning coffee. Sipping on a latte while people watching has quickly become one of my favorite activities to do at the market. The Farmers’ Market runs from April 15th to November 11th 2023, so make sure to make time on a Wednesday or Saturday morning 8 A.M. to noon to check it out!

2. Picnic Point

Picnic Point is a great place to feel like you are away from campus without going too far. There are so many things to do there while being part of nature. One of my favorite things to do there is watch the sunset. It can also be a great location for a quick Instagram photo session with a cute picnic setup in nature.

3. Capitol Restaurants

With how much walking I do down by the Capitol, I have been able to stop at restaurants at night and look at menus to see some of the options. They can be pretty expensive but are good for special occasions such as birthdays or showing visitors around the city. In the spring, one of my favorite things is to sit on patios and watch people walking by. Some of the best places that I have found so far include The Tipsy Cow, The Old Fashioned and Lucille. 

4. Rent equipment at the union 

Of course, this list would not be complete without the addition of Memorial Union and all it has to offer, especially in spring. Everyone is able to rent equipment from Outdoor UW. Students also get a 10% discount for rentals. Rental equipment ranges from canoes to paddle boards so there is no shortage of new things to try or get back into for visitors at the Union. After all that physical activity, there are many stops in the Union to replenish such as ice cream from Babcock or food from Der Rathskeller. 

5. Olbrich Botanical Gardens

A final spring activity is visiting the Olbrich Botanical Gardens. It is easy to spend a few hours walking through the paths or just sitting at one of the benches and taking in the sun. I am not huge on gardens or insects, but I am being 100% honest when I say that I enjoy the time I spend there. It is definitely worth a quick stop. 

Spring is a great time to visit but every season has many other fun opportunities as well. There are many other fun things to do in Madison, andI wanted to highlight a few of my favorites. Spring is a great time to visit and enjoy the views and fun times the city has to offer.

Gabby Guzman

Wisconsin '26

Gabby is a current first-year at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is majoring in Consumer Behavior and Marketplace Studies and Communications. She is originally from Plymouth, Minnesota, which means she is a die-hard Vikings fan. Her interests include watching sports, spending time with family and friends, and traveling. Gabby is so excited to be welcomed into the Her Campus community and have the opportunity to share her ideas and experiences with everyone!