absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Recipes for a Fully Fall Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

One of the best parts of fall is the delicious food that comes with chilly weather and pumpkin season. Don’t get me wrong, I love spooky movies and autumn shoe shopping, but nothing compares to baking warm treats on a gorgeous fall day. Play some Harry Styles in the background, light a candle and get ready for some delicious food! This year, I have really upped my baking game, and I’m here to share with you some of the best — and easiest — recipes that will definitely get you in the fall spirit. 

Breakfast

1. Pumpkin Spice Latte 

What better way to start your day than with a pumpkin overload? Save a few bucks and preserve your morning coziness by making a pumpkin spice latte from home! Keep in mind, you’ll need a frother. There are great ones on Amazon! (Here is one of the more expensive but worthwhile milk frothers).

A side note: I don’t really measure anything out, I usually just eyeball it and use a pinch of the spices. Feel free to add more or less for your preferences!

Ingredients:

Coffee

Pumpkin pie seasoning 

Nutmeg

Cinnamon

1 tablespoon pumpkin

Milk

Whipped cream

Optional: Maple syrup and/or cinnamon stick (for extra fall sweetness)

Instructions:

1. Brew your coffee however you like it. For extra pumpkin flavor, brew pumpkin coffee! 

2. Mix in pumpkin to your hot coffee.

3. Add pumpkin spice, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

4. Add maple syrup or alternate sweetener if you choose to.

5. Froth milk and add to coffee.

6. Add whipped cream and sprinkle pumpkin pie seasoning or cinnamon on top. 

7. Enjoy! 

2. Pumpkin Muffins 

Now, I know I said this meal would be a pumpkin overload, but I lied — just a little. So, if you’re not a huge pumpkin person, you’re in luck, because these muffins have only a light pumpkin flavor.

Ingredients: 

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 1/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup softened butter

1 cup canned pumpkin

2 eggs

Optional: 1/4 cup apple juice

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 ºF.

1. Mix the first 5 ingredients in 1 large bowl.

2. Mix the rest in a smaller bowl. 

3. Combine into the large bowl and mix with a rubber cake spatula. 

4. Pour into muffin trays. 

5. Bake for 20-25 min. 

6. Enjoy! 

P.S. — To turn your muffins into a dessert or add some sweetness to the recipe, use the same frosting (that you can make for dessert later) on your muffins — that’s what I did, and they were a hit!

Lunch or Dinner

3. Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup 

I don’t know about you, but the warmth and happiness fall brings always makes me a little bit homesick. Bring a piece of home to you with this chicken noodle soup recipe! 

Ingredients:

32 oz chicken broth 

1 cup water

Chopped carrots and celery (lots)

2 or 3 handfuls of egg noodles 

Chopped up rotisserie chicken or chicken of any kind

Instructions: 

1. Bring liquids to a boil and cook veggies until semi soft. 

2. Add noodles and cook until done (about 10 minutes). 

3. Add cooked chicken. 

4. Sprinkle with parsley and pepper. 

5. Enjoy! 

Dessert

4. Fluffy Pumpkin Cookies 

Here comes the best part, dessert. Fall sweets are like no other. Make a cup of hot cocoa, and bask in the beauty of these cookie recipes. 

Cookie Ingredients:

1 cup butter, softened

1 cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder 

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 egg 

1 teaspoon vanilla

7.5 oz pumpkin (half of a 15 oz can)

2 cups flour

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 ºF.

1. Beat butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (I did this by hand). 

2. Add sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat until combined.

3. Add egg and vanilla.

4. Beat in pumpkin. 

5. Add flour slowly. 

6. Drop onto parchment paper. 

7. Bake for 10-12 minutes.  

Next, make your frosting! 

Frosting Ingredients: 

1/4 cup butter, slightly softened

4 oz cream cheese, softened

2 cups powdered sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Frosting Instructions: 

1. Beat all ingredients until soft and whipped. 

2. Frost cooled cookies. 

3. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. 

4. Enjoy! 

5. The Perfect Snickerdoodles 

For anyone who is absolutely sick of pumpkin by now, I have good news! These snickerdoodles are insanely easy to make and some of the best ones I’ve ever had. I found this recipe from Kristin Johns of the brand “KristinMade” on Instagram, with the title “The Perfect Snickerdoodles.” I was not let down. 

Ingredients: 

1 cup butter

1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 3/4 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon cinnamon

Instructions: 

Preheat oven to 375 ºF.

1. Cream together butter and sugar. 

2. Add eggs and vanilla, and mix well. 

3. Add baking soda, salt, and flour.

4. Shape dough into one-inch balls. 

In a separate bowl: 

5. Mix 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. 

6. Roll dough in cinnamon sugar mixture. 

7. Place cookies on parchment lined baking sheet. 

8. Bake for 7-8 minutes.

9. Enjoy! 

There are so many fall foods — from simple snacks like salted pumpkin seeds to complex meals like spaghetti squash. These five simple recipes are perfect for beginner level bakers, or anyone who just wants to minimize the time they spend in the kitchen. Plus, these recipes will 100% get you and your roommates, friends and loved ones into the fall mood! 

Sarah McLeod

Wisconsin '22

Sarah is currently studying English, Psychology and Gender & Women's studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Wisconsin born and raised, she loves reading, coffee and spending time with her friends and family.
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.