This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

You heard it from Gen Z, Millennials just aren’t cool anymore and no longer are side bangs, skinny jeans or using the laughing emoji. The new trends today are mom jeans, using the skull emoji and getting curtain bangs. Even though I am technically a part of Gen Z as a 1999 baby, I guess I see myself as a Millennial, however, I decided to give the curtain bangs a try. I filled my pinterest board with inspiration from all over the internet and off to my hairstylist I went. I loved it! Except, this love only lasts a couple days. I’m here to declare that curtain bangs suck.

They are high maintenance

I knew this going into it, as I watched plenty of videos on how people styled them. I thought maybe this could be my push to actually do my hair during these pandemic times. Nope. They just end up being floppy pieces on each side of my forehead because I don’t take the time to actually style them. 

They do not do well with updos

Sure, if you want a cute ponytail and the bangs stay down to frame your face, then they work. Unless the wind blows or you feel the constant need to fix them. Also, when you’re trying to work out and can’t locate a single bobby pin, you’re stuck with these pieces of hair falling out of your ponytail and sticking to your face and getting in the way. 

Require heat styling tools

This goes back to the high maintenance point, you have to style them. I’ve been trying to be very conscious about the health of my hair as I get older and my youthful bouncy hair has gone flat. Going over and over my curtain bangs to try and get the right look each day is going to fry my hair no matter how much heat protectant I use. 

Flyaways

The wind blows and your hair is instantaneously ruined. Don’t even think about driving with the windows down if you have your curtain bangs, they will whip you in the eye! 

They don’t stay tucked behind my ear and look terrible with headbands

This point won’t last long with how fast they will grow out, but we cut them just short of tucking behind my ears after a blowdry. This is a key point because my air dried hair is a little more wavy so this wave means that they don’t stay tucked. I can’t stand it. Don’t even think about putting a headband on. I did and not only did the bangs still fall out during the day, they often spun so that the ends were sticking straight up, not a good look.

If you’re thinking about doing it, don’t do it. If you have them and love them, I envy you. I really did want to like these as I was looking for something more to do with the hair around my face, this just wasn’t it for me apparently. If you’re in the same boat as me, just know that your hair will grow out. There are cute little hair clips to keep them out of the way and otherwise, we will just be stuck constantly trying to tuck them out of the way. Best of luck to anyone who fell for the Gen Z trend. 

Laura Dirk

Wisconsin '21

Hi! I am a senior at the University of Wisconsin - Madison studying biology. I am crossing my fingers to get into vet school to continue my education and follow my dream! Follow along my rollercoaster of college with me through my articles, learn new tips and tricks, learn from my mistakes, be inspired!
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!