This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I recently saw The Chainsmokers in concert this past month. To be completely honest with you, I mostly bought the tickets to see their opener, 5 Seconds of Summer. I was half expecting to be bored out of my mind, sitting there and not really know any songs. To my surprise, I ended up having the time of my life throughout both setlists and came to one conclusion: I’ve been sleeping on The Chainsmokers for years. 

Outside of their yearly summer hits, they have some really great tracks

One of the biggest reasons I realized I had been missing out on the group was because of the music I got to listen and dance to. Of course they played hits like ‘Closer,’ but they also played a new song, ‘Push My Luck,’ that brought down the tone. I was pleasantly surprised that I actually enjoyed a lot of their songs when they weren’t being overplayed on the radio.

You’re in to be entertained

The whole show I was amazed at the entire staging. As every group seems to have, there was a ton of fire, but also at one point they brought out motorcycles and some intricate cage looking thing. Alex, who is usually the member mixing and DJing on stage if you will, was amazing at getting everyone out of their seats and hyping the crowd. 

They Post Creative Content on Social Media 

Like many other cases of post concert depression, I found myself lurking on social media and trying to find more. I ended up finding a number of videos and posts made by the duo that were quite entertaining to say the least.

Drew can really sing! 

I think, like everyone, I sort of had the assumption that because of the collaborations that typically feature just their collaborator as a vocalist that Drew really was just there to jump around. He’s improved tremendously throughout the years and sounded great live. Like Alex, he really helped get the show going.

They’re growing and especially after this tour

Like a lot of 5 Seconds of Summer fans, I wasn’t necessarily too sure I wanted to see The Chainsmokers in concert. It made me hesitant to get tickets, but even my roommates, who attended the show too, enjoyed the duo more than expected. You already know that The Chainsmokers will have another summer song you can’t get out of your head, so it’s to be expected that you’ll be hearing them soon.  

To be completely honest, I wasn’t expecting to come out of The Alliant Energy Center as a fan of The Chainsmokers. If there’s one thing I learned from this experience, it’s to not count artists out until you see them live.

Jenny Patino is currently a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin double majoring in marketing and management & Human Resources. She enjoys traveling, cooking, exploring new coffee shops, watching an abundance of soccer, and keeping herself busy with student orgs. You can keep up with her on Twitter (@/jennyxpatino) and Instagram (@/Jenny_patino).
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.