5 Podcasts to Listen to Based on Your Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Finding motivation to read a good book can be difficult, especially after a long day. Picking just the right show on Netflix, too, can be challenging. You might turn to music next, but sometimes you get bored with that as well. Before giving up, look to podcasts! Some of them entail entertaining stories and fascinating interviews, others will leave you laughing out loud or fulfilled by good life advice. So, sit back in bed, throw on a pair of headphones, and listen to some of these great podcast series that’ll keep you hooked.

1. When you’re feeling mysterious: Unsolved Murders: True Crime Stories on Spotify!

The radio-style storytelling of this podcast make listening to them just like listening to a movie. Some can be a little scary, but the voice actors will take your mind miles away — on a long road trip or plane ride, perhaps. The hosts of this podcast tell the story behind crime scenes and investigations of unsolved murders, and they take a whack at what the resolution may be.

2. When you’re feeling ambitious: Skimm’d from the Couch on iTunes!

Taking the news world by storm, theSkimm is inspiring and educating young entrepreneurs as a quick and easy way to get news updates. In “founder chats,” Carly and Danielle give small bits of information and advice for the workplace. They also get into some real talk with notable female business founder; just listening to them can really help other young women get a hint of what they need to do to make it to the top.

3. When you need some good advice: Dear Sugars with the New York Times and WBUR​ on Spotify

The hosts of this podcast will answer all your questions, “no matter how deep or dark” they are. Covering various topics, like consent and dreams, this podcast series discuss things you’ve always wanted to hear about but may have been too afraid to ask; it may even give you a hand — uhm, advice — on something you need a little bit of help with. Plus, they change up the hosts of this podcast; you’re not just getting opinions and input from one person.

4. When you’re looking for someone to tell you how it is: Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard on Spotify​

In this fun yet reflective podcast, Dax Shepard searches for human truths through conversations with people. He talks with actors, academics and musicians, such as Ashton Kutcher, Ellen DeGeneres and Anna Faris. Shepard celebrates the growth and improvement individuals can achieve through different experiences by lending his ears to honest stories about the struggles people have dealt with throughout their lives.

5. When you’re in a happy mood: Happier with Gretchen Rubin

Gretchen Rubin, author of the book The Happiness Project, and her younger sister, Elizabeth Craft, use their podcast to inspire us with different ways we can make the most out of our daily lives. She’s all about feeling “a little happier,” and she gives general advice and reveal life hacks on a variety of topics. These two are sure to give you ideas on how to go through life in a positive way.

With podcasts, you can keep up with current events, listen to great stories or just learn about people. Whatever the case, listening to podcasts is a productive way to spend your free time — all you need is a pair of headphones and open ears. 

Cate Wilkinson

Wisconsin '20

Cate graduated from UW - Madison in May 2020 with a degree in Microbiology with a certificate in French. She is very passionate about health, wellness, sustainability and communication about these topics!