5 Life Lessons I Learned From My Younger Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s not always the case that the older sibling has all the best advice, even though it comes pretty close. Being an older sibling, we have to take a step back at times to realize what we can learn from our younger siblings. Even though we try to be the perfect role model for our little brothers and sisters, sometimes younger siblings have some good advice too. 

1. Not everything is always going to work out the way you want it to.

Everyone has had their share of bad days where everything seems to be going wrong, but if there’s one person who knows how to make you feel better on these terrible, no-good days, it’s your younger sibling. My sister was always the first one I turned to and she always knew just what to say when I was not feeling like myself. She would make sure I knew that it was a bad day, not a bad life and that everything was actually okay. These issues weren’t as big of a deal as I thought they were, and she knew that things going wrong was just another part of life.

2. Never forget who you are.

This one is important. It’s so easy to do; it happens more often than we would like. Someone who knows you better than you think, your younger sibling, has been looking up to you for so many years. Whether they tell you to knock it off and realize you’re better than that or just kindly remind you of how great you are, leave it up to your little sister or brother to keep you grounded and make you feel better about yourself. Younger siblings are the biggest fans of their older siblings and that is something that will never change.

3. Stand up for yourself.

If there is one thing I have watched my younger sibling accomplish effortlessly and without hesitation, it’s standing up for herself. Being the “little sister” meant she was always the youngest in the group, and this forced her to stand up for herself to make up for her age. She never let someone tell her she couldn’t do something just because she was younger, and this continues today. Speak up for what you believe in and don’t let anyone say to you that you aren’t able to do something.

4. When the going gets tough, get tougher.

My little sister, as tiny as she was, always made herself seem like the biggest kid in the room. I have always admired that about her. No matter where she was or what she was going through, she always seemed cool and collected. Even in the toughest, most insane situations, she made it look like she had it together. Being her sister, I knew this was an act put on to show that she wasn’t bothered. What I really learned from her is that when life gets hard, it’s how you respond to these hardships that prove how tough, and willing to fight, you actually are. Instead of giving up, get tough.

5. They’ll always be there for you.

Younger siblings may get annoying at times, but deep down, they’re your best friend. Now and forever, they will be the first ones there to cheer you up, pick you up when you’re down, and be by your side through it all. My younger sister has taught me that she always has my back and will be there for me whenever I need her.

What I have learned from having a younger sister is that they have a lot to learn, but if you really pay attention, they can teach you more than you thought. As annoyed as we may get with them —when they need us to drive them to practice or when they steal our favorite top — younger siblings are the best and the first person we want to run to when we get exciting news. They are a forever, permanent best friend who can be pretty wise too.

:)
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!