5 Good Reasons For Tuning in to “The Bachelorette” This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

If you haven’t ever watched “The Bachelorette,” now is a great time to start! Clare Crawley, the star of this year’s season, had to put her search for true love on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic in mid-March. After jetting off to La Quinta, California, in July and self-quarantining for two weeks, she was ready to begin filming her season. It’s sure to be an interesting one, and if you’re still on the fence about following her journey with the rest of Bachelorette nation, I hope that you can be swayed by these 5 good reasons for tuning in.

You can live through Clare Crawley

Word has it that trying to start a relationship during a global pandemic sucks (and that’s putting it lightly). How are you supposed to become closer to someone if they’re physically six feet away? As Saturday Night Live so humorously asked two weeks ago in their “Bottom of Your Face” sketch about taking new relationships to the next level, how can you tell it’s love if you’re not entirely convinced that they’re not hiding a single giant tooth underneath their mask?

Instead of risking my own health and mental wellbeing trying to dive right into a relationship in the middle of a pandemic, I will be living through Clare Crawley–this year’s Bachelorette–over the next few months. She has 31 charming men vying for her heart! Why wouldn’t you want to fantasize about being in her shoes?

You can temporarily forget about your worries in life.

My current list of daily stressors is not exhaustive, and I’d be willing to bet that yours isn’t either. On Mondays, I worry about my grandparents’ health and on Tuesdays I worry about my parents’ health. On Wednesdays, I lose sleep over upcoming Chemistry quizzes and on Thursdays I fret about the expanding island chain of zits on my chin. Fridays I reserve for global warming and the current state of our national government. Isn’t this fun?

The day of “The Bachelorette” premier, I had been anxiously dwelling on the fact that I’m not meeting nearly enough people this semester. I was so grateful when those worries were temporarily forced into the back of my skull by Chris Harrison’s familiar voice, explaining that those in the audience would need to buckle up for “an explosive season, unlike any we’ve ever had.” As he continued his monologue, I couldn’t help but smile to myself; for the first time in months, I could listen to the word “unprecedented” and not develop an immediate gag reaction. 

You can take note of creative ways to present yourself to your crush.

Even if you aren’t looking to live through Clare because you already have a special someone in mind, “The Bachelorette” can still do you good if you need ideas for a memorable first impression. 

The first episode of any “Bachelor” or “Bachelorette” season is always my favorite because they never fail to make me laugh. There’s always that one contestant who goes above and beyond to make a good first impression. Take former Bachelor Colton Underwood’s season last year, for example–contestant Alex walked out of the limo in a head-to-toe sloth costume to prove that she could take their potential relationship very, very slowly. Or Becca Kufrin’s season in 2018, when Trent arrived at the Bachelor Mansion in the back seat of a long hearse because he “literally died” when he found out Becca would be the Bachelorette. 

The list goes on and on. Why not brainstorm some costumes and ideas while watching the premiere of this year’s “Bachelorette”?

You can take advantage of this year’s two-for-one deal.

Word also has it that Clare’s time on the show lasts a mere few weeks because she falls in love early on in the drawn-out dating process. It’s rumoured that Tayshia Adams, a contestant from season 23 of “The Bachelor,” takes her place. Why not stick around to see if this is true?

You’ll have something new to talk about with your friends.

Is it just me, or is my life suddenly not that interesting anymore? It has reached the point where I now dread that awful question asked regularly by friends and coworkers: “What’s new?” 

Honestly. Can we stop asking each other this? The only answer you are going to get out of me is “Not much, what about you?” or “Lots! I started eating my Special K with skim milk instead of 1%, and it’s been crazy living on the edge, let me tell you!”

Anyway–what I’m trying to get at is that “The Bachelorette” makes for awesome conversation. Each episode is brimming with all of the drama that most of us don’t have in our lives right now.

Long list short, “The Bachelorette” is escapism, and everyone needs a little bit of that during these “unprecedented” times.

Mary Hegeman

Wisconsin '24

Hi! My name is Mary. I am so excited to be a part of Her Campus this year at the University of Wisconsin-Madison! Facebook: mary.hegeman.543 Instagram: @maryyhegs22
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!