5 Fast News Facts from Last Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Staying informed has arguably never been so important. Here’s a brief update on what happened last week.

1. Hope Hicks left her post at the White House.

Former White House communications director, Hope Hicks, officially resigned from her position this week. She first worked for Ivanka Trump and joined the Trump campaign during the election season. Her resignation occurred after her testimony before the House Intelligence Committee where she discussed Russia’s interference in the 2016 election.

2. Spotify filed to go public.

Spotify announced on Wednesday that they have filed to go public with the New York Stock Exchange. The company is said to be valued at more than $23 billion, but there is controversy surrounding the actual valuation. Spotify will directly list shares, which is uncommon for a new stock.

3. Nor’easter storm hits the East Coast.

There are seven known deaths in the wake of a storm that has left 2 million people without power in 13 states. The snow, wind and rain were accompanied by coastal flooding. Fallen trees, power lines and public transit issues have amounted to significant transportation problems across the East Coast. Forecasts predict that the storm will subside by the beginning of this week.

4. Shooting at Central Michigan University.

Student James Eric Davis Jr. fatally shot his parents on the Central Michigan University campus. Following investigations, authorities concluded that the gun belonged to the father of the shooter. Central Michigan University went on lockdown as a result of the shooting.

5. Wisconsin Basketball Loses in Big Ten tournament.

The Badgers lost to Michigan State in the Big Ten tournament quarterfinal, 63-60, at Madison Square Garden. Ranked 9th in the Big Ten Conference, this loss ends the Badger’s 15-18 season.

Now, you can start the week knowing that you are well aware of the news happening!