5 Easy Healthy Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As the fourth week of college sets in, I have been tempted with Babcock ice cream and Ian’s Pizza on multiple occasions. Don’t get me wrong; I love to indulge as much as the next college freshman, but daily scoops of cookies & cream ice cream and multiple slices mac & cheese pizza don’t exactly scream “fit!” While the occasional treat is a must in dealing with the many stresses that college presents, it is also important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. While it can be challenging with the limited options in the cafeteria, here are my top five dorm-room snacks that help me stay in tip-top shape:

1)   Rice cakes, Peanut Butter, and Bananas:

-2 Rice Cakes

-2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter

-1 whole banana

Cover each rice cake with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, and half of the sliced banana. ENJOY!

I am absolutely obsessed with this combo for breakfast. I usually run late in the mornings and don’t have time to stop anywhere to eat. This quick and simple recipe makes for a delicious, nutritious breakfast!

2)   Pizza sandwich thins

-1 Sandwich thin

-1/4 cup shredded mozzarella

-1/4 cup pizza sauce

Cover each side of the sandwich thin with the pizza sauce, and then sprinkle shredded mozzarella on top. Voila!

For a quick lunch or snack, these pizza sandwich thins are a great alternative to traditional delivery pizza.  It is always great to have food options in your dorm in the event you don’t have time to eat earlier in the day!

3)   Carrots & Hummus

My go-to snack is a handful of baby carrots and several spoonful’s of hummus. Both of these food items are easily stored in a mini fridge and can be bought at a local grocery store. I love carrots and hummus for munching on while I am working on last-minute lecture readings.

4)   Fresh fruit

Keeping any sort of fresh produce in your dorm room is a must. From apples to berries, fresh fruit can satisfy your sweet tooth while still offering nutritional value!

5)   Greek yogurt

For a great source of protein, as well as a delicious snack, Greek yogurt is a healthy alternative that will tie you over between meals. 

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com