5 Different Jackets You Need This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As a Los Angeles native, the warmest jacket I owned before coming to UW-Madison was a denim jacket. After I experienced my first Wisconsin snow during the October 20th football game, I quickly learned that my jean jacket would not nearly be warm enough to get me through a Wisconsin winter. Luckily, I have made friends from the Midwest who have helped me purchase winter gear that has kept me warm (thus far). Through all the purchases I have made, I have learned that there are multiple options that one has when trying to decide on a warm winter coat or jacket. So I have compiled a list of the five different jackets that will get you through the frigid Wisconsin winters.

1. A big winter coat

This full-length parka promises protection against freezing temperatures, as well as style. With a removable hood, it has a sleek design that is both sophisticated and functional. This parka is also filled with goose feathers, so it is guaranteed to keep you warm even on the coldest winter days. You can find this high-quality, as well as high-priced, winter coat at Canada Goose.

2. A peacoat

This peacoat is the best way to stay warm while also looking cute. The oversized buttons and cuffed sleeves add an element of style that is often compromised when looking for a warm jacket. With an oversized look, it is perfect for layering underneath, which is necessary during winter. This super soft and cozy teddy brown peacoat can be found at Free People

3. A puffer

A lightweight, practical puffer is perfect for any occasion. When you want to go casual, this puffer is the best option that will definitely keep you warm, as it is stuffed with goose down insulation. As an added bonus, this puffer can be packed into such a tight ball that you can fit it inside your pocket- perfect for when you are inside a warm building and no longer need it. You can find this puffer, available in many other colors as well, at North Face. 

4. A fleece

Cozy, cute and comfortable is what this Patagonia fleece is all about. This is a perfect jacket choice for when you want to be embraced by something soft and fuzzy to stay warm. This fleece is perfect for everyday wear and can match with any outfit

5. A UW hoodie

For when you are in a hurry and need to quickly throw something warm on, you cannot go wrong with a UW sweatshirt! Although it may not be the warmest option to wear on its own, it goes perfectly underneath a big winter coat or puffer. Plus, you can’t go wrong sporting school spirit! Sweatshirts can be found at any University Bookstore or UW apparel shops on State Street. 

From puffers to peacoats, each of the listed jackets will provide you with varying degrees of warmth and style that will help you survive a cold Wisconsin winter. Although some may come with a steep price tag, a high-quality coat is crucial in order to stay warm in 30 below temperatures. As well as your coat, in order to be as bundled as possible, try layering a long sleeve shirt or sweater underneath your coat. After all, it is better to have the option to take off layers rather than to freeze walking to class.

Maysen Marolda

Wisconsin '22

Maysen is a freshman double majoring in political science and communications with a certificate in criminal justice. She is from Hermosa Beach, California, so she is not sure how she is going to survive winter but is excited to experience seasons! In her free time, Maysen enjoys finding the best falafel bowls, traveling, and re-watching Gossip Girl.
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!