5 Daily Tips From Someone Who is Uber-Organized

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Try Implementing these tips into your daily routine 

Ever since I was young, I have been an extremely organized person in most aspects of my life. I keep my environment clean and organized, but I also make sure to keep my school work and extracurricular activities organized. Being organized and clean has helped me take control of my life and has overall left me feeling like I know what I should be doing at all moments of the day. Although this may seem like a lot to some people and some prefer living in a messier environment, I have gathered my five top tips for keeping my life organized. Let’s dive in…

1. use Google Calendar/Planner/Spreadsheet 

Google Calendar is a lifesaver. If you don’t like carrying around a physical planner, Google Calendar is the perfect tool to keep your schedule organized. I use Google Calendar to keep track of my school, work and extracurricular/club schedules. This helps me know where I have to be at all times and helps me estimate the free time I will have each day to study or do whatever else I need to do. Better yet, you can connect your Canvas deadlines to Google Calendar so you can keep track of upcoming deadlines too (look at TikTok for a simple tutorial). By doing this, Google Calendar can act as both a calendar and planner, telling you where you need to be and what you need to get done. 

2. keep Ongoing note lists

I keep ongoing lists in the Notes app on my phone for everything. Whenever I run out of something, I’ll quickly jot it down in my ongoing grocery list. That way, if I ever spontaneously stop at the grocery store, I can quickly get what I went in for. This goes for almost everything in my life. I keep an ongoing list of recommended classes to take, article ideas, things or clothes I need to buy, my spending and shows or movies I want to watch, to name a few. Keeping ongoing lists is helpful for me because I am able to quickly find information that I might not think about on a regular basis. It is important to properly label your notes with titles so that whenever you are in need of the note, you can quickly search it up. 

3. Clean your room every night or morning

By far the biggest routine that has helped me keep my environment always clean and decluttered is picking up things in my room every morning and night. Obviously you don’t need to do this twice a day, but even doing this once a day will drastically reduce a messy room. Every morning after getting ready for school, I pick up and clean anything that is out of place in my room, including the clothes I discarded when picking out my outfit for the day. I know, it’s dreadful having to rehang and put away your clothes after rummaging through your closet, but clothes will only start piling up if you keep putting them off. I do this again before I go to bed. I pick up anything on the ground, make sure my desk and nightstand are tidy, and ensure that everything is in place. I know this may seem like a lot, but reserving five to 10 minutes to clean every day will make a huge difference and will make your periodical cleaning even quicker and easier because nothing will be piling up. As a rule of thumb, once you use or move something, put it back in its place right away. I can guarantee this small step will help TONS.

4. Have a weekly routine

Every week, I prioritize Sunday as my ‘reset’ day. Every Sunday, I make sure I am prepared for the week ahead by finishing all my homework, doing my laundry, cleaning my apartment and doing a minimal self-care routine. Having a set day for laundry makes it easy for me to manage my dirty clothes because by the end of the week, I have the perfect amount of clothes for a full load and I can rest peacefully knowing my laundry isn’t piling up due to ignoring it for weeks. Forcing myself to have this Sunday routine keeps me motivated to try and finish the majority of my homework before Sunday and also eases my anxiety knowing I will have time to get everything together on Sunday since it is a requirement in my weekly routine. Even if this isn’t appealing to you, I think it’s important to take some time on Sunday to situate yourself and plan and prepare for the upcoming week. Not only will this make Monday easier, but it will also allow your week to go more smoothly. 

5. Make your bed every morning

Your mom has probably already pestered you about this, but it genuinely does help. Making your bed every morning is good for establishing a routine and will help you not want to get right back in bed after waking up. Making your bed is such a small task that takes barely any time, but it makes your room and environment look 10 times cleaner. When your room looks clean, you will feel more like you have your life together. 

Take these tips with a grain of salt. Life can get busy and overwhelming and these tips may not always be plausible or the priority. Whenever you have the time, start implementing these tips and you’ll realize how impacting they can be on your daily routine and environment. As they say, “a clean space leads to a clear mind.”

Camila Rivero

Wisconsin '24

Hi! My name is Camila Rivero and I was born in raised in Boulder, Colorado. I am now attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison hoping to pursue my degree in strategic communications with a minor in digital studies.