sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Chilling Recipes Perfect for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

With Halloweekend just around the corner, there’s so much to do to prepare! Forget midterms, between finding the perfect costume, deciding to go to Freakfest, and preparing the perfect treats, October is filled with so many things to do. It’s one busy month, so make sure to make time to treat yourself to some of these frighteningly good goodies in your dorm or apartment.

1. Spooky Vampire Floats

You can’t go wrong by treating yourself to an ice cream float after acing your midterm! Not only are these floats incredibly easy and fast to make, they’re also super cute and “gram-worthy.” Pretty ‘fang-tastic’ if you ask me!

What you’ll need:

Red Soda of Choice

Vanilla Ice Cream

Strawberry (or Cherry) Syrup

Plastic Vampire Fangs

Whipped Cream

Red Gel

Straws

Steps:

1. Scoop ice cream into a cup. Pour red soda over the ice cream.
  2. Top with whip cream and drizzle strawberry or cherry syrup on top.
  3. Add fangs and red gel to create a blood effect.

2. Mischievous Monster Cookies

In terms of easy recipes, these cookies take the cake, literally! These cookies are made from a cake mix, which makes them much easier to make and leaves you more time for all that Halloween decorating that your room needs (or more time to study I guess). These monster cookies are sure to be a favorite!

What you’ll need:

A box of white cake mix

½ cup of Oil

2 Large Eggs

Red & Green Food Coloring

Skittles or M&M’s

Black edible marker pen

Steps:

1. In a bowl, mix together white cake mix, oil and eggs until combined. Divide the batter equally into two separate bowls.
  2. Add gel food coloring to get the desired color you want (I used green and red gel food coloring).
  3. Place in the fridge for about 45 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, using your edible marker pen, draw ‘eyes’ on the skittles or m&m’s. I used different colors for fun. Set aside.
  5. Once ready to bake the cookies, line a baking tray with a silicone mat or baking parchment.
  6. Scoop out the cookie dough and bake for 10-12 minutes. The cookies are ready to be taken out of the oven when the edges are slightly firm but the middle is still soft and squishy.
  7. As soon as you take them out of the oven, press in the “eyes.”
  8. Once the cookies have cooled you can draw scary or silly faces on the cookies with the edible marker pen.
  9. These cookies can be stored up to four to five days in an airtight container.

3. Cute Chocolate Vanilla Oreo Fudge Creatures

Who doesn’t love fudge? Nobody, that’s who. The candy eyes give this fudge a frightening twist, staring at your guests or even you! Eye don’t think it can get better than that!

What you’ll need:

For The Chocolate Layer

1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips

1/2 can sweetened condensed milk (1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp.)

1 Tablespoon butter

2 Tablespoons marshmallow cream

8 Halloween Oreo cookies, broken into chunks

For the Vanilla Layer

1 1/2 cups white baking chips

1/2 can sweetened condensed milk

1 Tablespoon butter

2 Tablespoons marshmallow cream

5 Tablespoons sprinkles, divided

72 edible candy eyes

Steps:

1. Combine the chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until melted and creamy. Add the marshmallow cream and stir again. Fold in the Oreo cookie chunks gently. Pour into a foil lined 8×8 pan. Set aside.
  2. Combine the white chips, sweetened condensed milk and butter in another saucepan over low heat. Stir until melted and creamy. Stir in the marshmallow cream. Let cool for 2-3 minutes. Stir in 3 Tablespoons sprinkles quickly. Pour over the chocolate layer.
  3. Top with the remaining sprinkles and candy eyeballs. Let set before cutting into 36 squares. Store in a sealed container on the counter.

4. Eerie Strawberry Ghosts

This recipe is perfect for those of us who like quick prep and a tasty treat. These ‘boo-tiful’ strawberries are dipped in chocolate and are ready to eat after half an hour.

What you’ll need:

1 (16 oz) package Vanilla CANDIQUIK Coating

24 Fresh strawberries

Mini chocolate chips

Steps:

1. Melt Candiquik in tray according to directions on package.
  2. Place a large piece of wax or parchment paper on a flat surface.
  3. Dip strawberries in melted Candiquik Coating, remove and allow the excess coating to pour off onto the wax paper to form the “tail” of the ghost; slide the strawberry back and set on wax paper to dry.
  4. Before coating has set, place two mini chocolate chips on as the eyes. For the mouth, cut off the tip of a mini chocolate chip and place on the strawberry with the bottom side facing up.

5. Deadly Candy Bark

Well, not actually deadly, unless you consider eating a lot of it to be. This delicious candy bark requires no more than 10 minutes of your time to make. It’s quick, easy and a great tasty treat to break out for Halloween.

What you’ll need:

2 cups of white chocolate, chopped

15 drops Flo-Coat Candy Covering

1 drop of purple food coloring

1 drop of orange food coloring

1 drop of green food coloring

2 tbsp. Of large Halloween colored nonpareils

1 tbsp. Halloween colored sprinkles

Steps:

1. Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until completely melted.
  2. Divide three tablespoons melted white chocolate into three separate bowls. Add five drops Flo-Coat and one drop of food coloring to each bowl; stir to combine.
  3. Pour remaining white chocolate onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Using an offset spatula, spread chocolate until it’s 1/8″- to 1/4″-thick. Drizzle colored chocolate on top and drag a toothpick to create swirls. Dust top with nonpareils and sprinkles.
  4. Transfer to the refrigerator to set  20 minutes. Break into pieces to serve.

With all these spooky treats, there’s no way you can go wrong this Halloween. Time efficient, easy clean-up and simply delicious! You sure won’t be tricking anyone this year with just how great these treats taste.

Jenny Patino is currently a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin double majoring in marketing and management & Human Resources. She enjoys traveling, cooking, exploring new coffee shops, watching an abundance of soccer, and keeping herself busy with student orgs. You can keep up with her on Twitter (@/jennyxpatino) and Instagram (@/Jenny_patino).
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!