This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Because when the leaves change, so should your TBR.

The autumn season is finally upon us! There are several activities to choose from, including strolling through an apple orchard, dressing up in a crazy costume or baking all the best treats. Though, as much as I love to rewatch Gilmore Girls or put on a horror movie, my favorite way to spend an October afternoon is cuddled up with a fall-feeling book. So, if you’re looking to pumpkin spice up your shelf this spooky season, here are my five reading suggestions!

1. Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

This book tells the story of two sisters, Gillian and Sally Owens, as they progress through life and choose very different paths for themselves. I decided to read it since I love the movie it inspired. I recommend this novel if you enjoy witches, ghosts and (sometimes cheesy) bonds of sisterhood. There are also three other books in the series to read when you finish.

2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

The Brontë sisters have all written excellent books, but this one is my favorite. It’s a coming-of-age tale about Jane Eyre, a girl who must deal with significant adversity until she creates her own happy ending. There were jaw-dropping twists, and a romance that I’m still unsure how to feel about. Assuming you haven’t read this novel yet, this fall is the perfect time to start.

3. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Jane Austen has authored several remarkable books – her first completed novel, however, is my first choice to settle down with when the weather turns chillier. It’s a satirical, coming-of-age story about Catherine Morland, a woman who has read so many gothic novels that she begins to believe she is in one. Plus, Henry Tilney is one of Austen’s most swoon-worthy leading men.

4. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

The monster Frankenstein, is often in the media, but the book is about a scientist, Victor Frankenstein, who creates and animates a being. Then, he abandons his being out of fear, which causes the being to become vengeful. The downward development of an almost admirable scientist who only wanted to bring life to death into a selfish man kept me hooked.

5. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

This book is my favorite classic gothic novel. It follows an unnamed narrator who falls in love with and marries Maxim de Winter, only to feel haunted by the memory of his late wife Rebecca. Du Maurier beautifully wrote the transition of the narrator’s character from a quiet, insecure girl into a confident, assertive woman. If you enjoyed Jane Eyre, pick this one up.

The summer was a time for warm, fluffy romances that you could pull out beside a pool or dive deep into on a trip to the beach. The fall, however, is a time for classics, mysteries, thrilling tales that keep you on your toes: the books you pull out in the night and flip through the pages under a flashlight’s glow. There are many reads to enjoy in the September, October and November months, but this list is just a few of my favorites. If any of these titles interest you, visit your local bookstore or library for a copy and fall in love with reading this autumn.

Sydney Gray

Wisconsin '25

Hey, I’m Sydney! I’m a current sophomore at UW-Madison. I love reading, iced coffee, and making playlists on Spotify.