This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

If you’re like me, your winter break is going to be all about relaxing and recovering from finals. Likely full of soft blankets, hot cocoa, movies, and leftovers, this time of rejuvenation is crucial to resetting yourself before you go back to school in the new year. If you find yourself going a bit stir-crazy though, check out some of these cool places for a weekend getaway — or even just for a day trip!

1. Mt. Lacrosse Ski Resort / Granite Peak / Cascade Mountain / Alpine Valley

If you’re itching to hit the slopes this holiday season — whether that means skiing, snowboarding, or tubing — check out these ski hills in Wisconsin. Get the whole gang out and enjoy some creamy hot chocolate and lunch. After a day of snow activities, you’re sure to feel active and refreshed for the holidays.

2. Chicago

Chicago is the perfect weekend getaway destination. Hop on the train and head to Nordstrom for a little holiday shopping — and its amazing decorations! Maybe even stop at Millennium Park for a little ice skating. Whatever you choose to do, an excursion to the Windy City during the holiday season is always enjoyable.

3. Door County

Head up to Door County for a day for a great holiday experience! Stroll along the bustling streets and stop in quaint shops, or walk the frozen beaches of Lake Michigan for a little fresh air. The magic of Door County during the holiday season is truly wonderful, and the twinkly lights everywhere will make your heart glow.

4. Québec City Lights Festival

If you’re looking to go a little bit farther this season, head up to the Quebec City Lights Festival. It’s definitely worth a good 16-hour drive — or short 4.5-hour flight directly from Milwaukee — is definitely worth the wait. While you’re there, walk the historic streets of Quebec — they’re beautiful during the winter.

Relaxing at home is a wonderful way to spend winter break with friends and family — so is going on amazing escapades with the people you love. Get the whole crew together and make your way out to any of these destinations for an experience you’ll never forget.

Cate Wilkinson

Wisconsin '20

Cate graduated from UW - Madison in May 2020 with a degree in Microbiology with a certificate in French. She is very passionate about health, wellness, sustainability and communication about these topics!