This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Football is finally upon us, and although we can’t jump around in Camp Randall, there’s no reason we can’t enjoy the season from home. No, football in a pandemic won’t be the same, but we can still make a bunch of memories. Here are four easy ways to make game day exciting in a safe, socially distanced fashion.  

Go thrifting!

The best way to get into game mode is to dress like it! Nobody says you can’t wear your badgeralls on the couch, but with so many student-businesses popping up on social media, there’s no better way to show your spirit than to support your fellow Badgers! While we all love the bookstore, it can get expensive; many of these accounts offer unique pieces at low prices, and you don’t even have to leave your room! Not only are their items trendy, but they are often upcycled. So, while you find something that sparks your imagination, you can also help the environment. That’s a win in my book!

Make Some Food

It’s not a football game without some classic apps. Although you might not have a chef’s kitchen, you can still make some fun recipes! A quick search on google will pull up a ton of options that could leave you cooking up a storm. Who knows, you might even have a secret talent you didn’t know about. And if not, go treat yourself because let’s be real: although I have faith in the Badger football team, winning or losing is a lot more enjoyable on a full stomach. 

Do some pregaming (but six feet apart)

While we’ll all miss tailgating, you can still make the most of the pregame atmosphere without being in close proximity to your friends. Round up your roommates (and only your roommates) for your traditional game day photo shoot. Don’t forget those super cool sunglasses while you’re at it. If you’re really feeling adventurous, crop a Camp Randall background into the pictures to help with the FOMO. Also, no one says that you and your neighbors can’t jam out from your individual rooms, so crank up that playlist and get loud!! And most importantly, it wouldn’t be a tailgate without some friendly competition. Games like cornhole are great for when it’s still nice out, and the best part is that it requires you to stay a safe distance away from your opponent!

JUMP AROUND

If you ignore everything else, this is the one item to pay attention to! Jump Around is a one-of-a-kind Wisconsin tradition that every fan can get behind. While I’m bummed that I can’t experience it for the first time amidst 80,000 other Badgers, I’d be lying if I said my roommate and I weren’t planning on blasting House of Pain at halftime. This is one tradition that binds us all together, and it is one that even COVID can’t beat.

College football is the epitome of the American college experience. There’s something to be said about making the transition from the summer to the fall by spending four hours on Saturdays emotionally invested in your favorite team. Even though it’s virtual, with all the uncertainty in the world right now, it’s nice to know that that doesn’t have to change. Have a blast and On Wisconsin!  

Madison Weiner

Wisconsin '24

Hi, I'm Madi! I grew up in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and I am currently a senior at Wisconsin studying international studies and political science. If I'm not writing for Her Campus, you can find me traveling, exploring new coffee shops, or finding new ways to stay active.
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!