This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Going to school somewhat far out-of-state, I fly home a few times per year to visit my family over breaks. Therefore I have come to think of myself somewhat as a frequent flyer. Different airports offer different experiences, and some are definitely more stressful than others. That being said, there are a few universal survival tips that can help make any air travel experience better, especially during the holidays when everyone else is also traveling.

Prep While You’re in Line — Take Out Everything

Prepping while waiting in a line helps the entire process go faster. Have your ID and ticket out for the TSA agent to scan before you get to the front of the security line. No one behind you wants to wait for you to dig out your wallet and ID once you’ve already reached the front of the line. 

Also, go ahead and locate your small bag of liquids if you brought one. It has most likely fallen to the bottom of your backpack or carry-on bag by now. Some airports make you take your liquids bag out before going through the x-ray scanner; other airports I’ve travelled through do not. Save yourself some time and take it out anyway.

Take Off Everything

Before going through the body scanner/metal detector, passengers are often required to remove their shoes. This is pretty much common knowledge. However, you are also required to remove outer pieces of clothing, which is where people can get tripped up. Coats, sweatshirts and even pullovers have to come off. Take off all — yes, all — of your outer layers at the beginning of the security process. This is faster than checking with a TSA agent and then having to go back to remove another item of clothing.

Stay on Task

It can be tempting to stop in all of the different shops and restaurants that airports have to offer before heading to your gate; however, I would highly recommend finding your gate first before going off into leisure time. You may find out that your gate is a lot farther away than you initially thought, or perhaps your gate is hard to find, or even the location of your gate has been changed entirely due to bad weather or delays. Once you establish where you need to be and at what time, you are free to explore the rest of the concourse without worry.

Try to Stay Relaxed

Large crowds of people can create a lot of anxiety for some people. This anxiety can be amplified by disorganized lines and the general stress of trying to make a flight on time. However, if you give yourself plenty of time to get through security, you give yourself a greater peace of mind. This allows you to take a deep breath and take a moment to accept the situation you are in. Focus on what you can control, like the tips above, and accept what is out of your control, like the other people in line with you or the speed the line is moving at. Staying calm and not making an unpleasant situation worse in your mind will be better for you in the long run. Find ways to distract yourself to make the time pass like listening to music, playing games or even taking the time to meet the person in line next to you.

Travel during the holidays can be stressful, and while at times all of the rules and processes of air travel can seem a bit much to handle, they are all in place to ensure everyone arrives at their destination safely. Preparing yourself for what you can control and accepting what you cannot will help you reduce stress and make your travel experience more enjoyable.

Lauren Ryan

Wisconsin '20

Lauren is a senior double majoring in Marketing and Operations and Technology Management, with a certificate in Supply Chain Management. 
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.