4 Reasons I’m Proud to be a Badger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

There are lots of reasons students decide to come to the University of Wisconsin-Madison — its location, its size, the quality of its education and let’s be honest, the parties. Madison has so much fun, yet so much learning happens in between. Becoming a badger was a great decision on my part, and I couldn’t be prouder. Here are four reasons I’m proud to be one of the 43,000 Badgers here:

1. The Community

I’ve worn Badger gear all over — at Universal Studios in California, at a grocery store back home in Minnesota and at my grandma’s house in La Crosse. In any case, a stranger cheers me on or yells out “On, Wisconsin!” each time — there are Badgers all over the world! Madison students and alumni can find traces of their school wherever they go, and it’s comforting to know that you can find your college community anywhere.

2.  The Victories

There’s a Badger win basically every day. Football, soccer, hockey, volleyball, the rowing team — the list goes on. Every time I hear about another takedown done by the Badgers, I smile and revel in our success. Plus, it’s pretty fun to do a little bragging to my friends at other schools (I’m looking at you, University of Minnesota!).

3. The Food

I had no idea I was missing out on so much delicious food until I arrived on campus! Babcock Ice Cream, Insomnia Cookies, every single restaurant on State Street, all the cheese— the options are truly unending. Even the dining halls have pretty solid meals! And there is no forgetting Ian’s Pizza (I’m a little obsessed with their mac and cheese slices). I make a list of what to show my parents when they come visit, and it’s usually just a list of foods I want to flaunt.

4. The Variety

I’ve met a ton of new people this year, and the best part about every new friend at Madison is that they’re all different. I love going to a school that isn’t made up of just one type of person, class, etc. All the different opinions and ways of life I’ve come in contact with have made me a better person, and I don’t think I’d be able to get that at just any university.

I love it here at UW-Madison, and I know I’m not alone. Being a Badger is the best thing that has happened to me so far, and I am chock-full of school pride! On, Wisconsin!

I'm a freshman from Minneapolis, Minnesota. I go to the University of Wisconsin, Madison, and this is my first semester with Her Campus! I love dogs, really fancy hamburgers and New Girl (I honestly try to act like Jessica Day at all times)
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!