3 Things More Important Than Your GPA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Finals are almost here! You should set a reasonable goal for your final GPA and work hard at achieving it. Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t reach your goal, though — it does nothing for you. Remember, your GPA isn’t all that matters! Here are three things that are more important than a high GPA:

1. Having (and further developing) grit

Grit means having a passion for reaching an end goal and having the motivation to achieve it, regardless of any roadblocks. Essentially, it means never giving up.

Honing this characteristic is far more important than achieving a perfect GPA; it keeps you on course towards your goals and shows people that you can make corrections when things go wrong. In fact, many job interviewers want to know if you have grit: they will ask you to discuss failures and how you handled them. Your college GPA will not make or break your prospect of living a successful, fulfilling life. Giving up, on the other hand, means that you’ll never reach your goals.

2. Being a kind person with good character

Being kind and sticking strongly to your own values, at least in my book, is more important than pretty much everything. Treating people with disrespect or adhering to a twisted moral code will catch up to you eventually, regardless of your GPA, skills or connections. Relentless kindness and good character, however, will cause people to rally behind you when you face a failure (like a lower-than-expected GPA). You can rely on these people to help you figure out how to move forward!

3. Loving yourself

Once again, this is about being able to face failure and move forward. If you beat yourself up every time you miss the mark on your goals, you’re going to become battered. Why would you want to keep pursuing your goals if you feel discouraged when you are confronted by a failure? If, instead, you react to every mistake or stumble with love and faith for yourself, then you’ll feel strong and motivated. Think about how you would treat your best friend if they faced the same situation as you — treat yourself that way. Love yourself for trying and for caring.

Don’t get me wrong, GPA matters in certain cases; however, a bad GPA will never fully prevent you from living a successful, fulfilling life! These three things genuinely matter more than straight A’s. Plus, they will help you press towards your life goals.

Also, you’re awesome regardless of your GPA — never forget it!