3 Life Lessons We Learned from Alan Rickman via Professor Snape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

While the Harry Potter movies may not be some people’s first choice as a source of wisdom about life, it most definitely is mine—especially in the case of one character: Professor Severus Snape. This role was played by the wonderful Alan Rickman, whom, sadly, passed away a couple weeks ago from cancer. The best way to honor his memory is to take note of some of the lessons we have learned from one of his most famous roles.

1.     Never judge a person based on who you think they are; most likely you have no idea.

It was a shocking revelation realizing the character who everyone spent so much time hating throughout the series was actually one of the strongest and bravest. I believe that Snape ended up being one of the most beloved characters once the true him was revealed. He showed that there is so much more to people than what they appear to be. Everyone has a history, so it is best to be aware that there is always more to the story.

2.     True love, though it can be painful, does exist.Snape did everything he could to protect Lily while she was alive, and then continued to protect Harry despite his dislike for him— all without expecting anything in return. That is definite true love.

3.     Sarcasm is clearly one of the best ways to communicate.

Even during the time when everyone was busy hating Snape, no one could deny that his sarcastic responses to almost everything made them laugh— or at least crack a smile. This made me appreciate his character so much more throughout the series.

Having grown up watching the Harry Potter movies, I feel like Alan Rickman was a definite part of my childhood. In later times when I watched some of his other movies, i.e. Love Actually, I further appreciated his talent. After watching interviews with him, his sense of humor and easygoing personality became very apparent. He seemed like a wonderful person, and he was definitely one of the great talents in the acting industry.

Rest in peace to one of our favorite Brits. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. He will be greatly missed. Always.

I am a freshman at University of Wisconsin, Madison from Minneapolis, Minnesota. I'm studying Neurobiology and Spanish with the hope of attending medical school one day. I love food, fashion, coffee and traveling! My dream place to travel to is India. I plan on living in Seattle, Washington when I grow up!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!