This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I know for a fact, I’m not the only girl whose mom would strap me down and proceed to tie cloth rags into my hair so I could walk to elementary school like a poodle the next day. Even though I don’t suggest doing this again, I am thankful for the cheap and easy tricks my grandmas and mother have taught me to stay beautiful. I’m sure many of you can relate to hearing about these trends.

1)     Rag Curls

Start by cutting cloth rags into 1 in. – 5 in. strips. Proceed to curl the strands around the rags until you reach the scalp, and then tie.

2)     Pinching Cheeks

This was the cheapest and easiest way to get rosy cheeks instantly. All you have to do is simply pinch your cheekbones and- wa la! It’s instant proof that beauty is pain.

3)     Hairspray Makeup Tact

The last thing a girl wants is her makeup melting down her face or being smudged during a late night out. This trick is literally to spray your face with hair spray.

4)     Orange is The New Loofa

Because oranges are a great anti-oxidant, they are known to bleach and exfoliate dead skin cells on dry places such as your elbows and knees to get them smooth and soft. Do this by simply cutting an orange in half and rubbing it on that desert dry skin for about 15 minutes.

5)     Baby Oil

We now recently know that baby oil is actually extremely bad for you along with lying out in the sun baking for hours. However, this was a common fad during the 1960s. On the downfall, baby oil does not protect you against strong sun damage.

6)     Satin Pillow

No one wants to wake up looking like a troll, especially when they’re running late to class. Sleeping with a satin pillow can provide many benefits for one’s beauty sleep, such as smoother and softer skin.

7)     Straightening Iron

This is not a joke when I say that my aunt used to straighten her hair by lying down and using an actual iron to get this crisp pastime. Please, don’t try this at home.

8)     Dry Brushing

Dry brushing aids in the removal of dead skin and detoxifying, and it should be done twice a day for maximal satisfaction. This practice is widely used by many famous individuals, such as the Victoria Secret goddess Miranda Kerr.

9)     Beer Volumizer

I’ll admit that my hair has a drinking problem. Due to the vitamin B and amino acids, washing my hair with flat light beer that’s been sitting out for a few days actually helps add volume and shine, especially for people with thin hair like mine.

10) Moisturizing before bed

Another idea my grandma implemented to me was how important moisturizing is, especially after these long, dry winter months. In order to prevent cracking, she would tell me to use exfoliators such as her home remedy of ground oatmeal and milk mixed into a thick paste. She would then lather her hands and feet, and then put on gloves/socks before she went to bed. You can now buy moisturized gloves and socks from any local Walgreens store as well to provide the same outcome.

11) Hydrating Hair Mask

Saturating your hair with beaten eggs is a great low-cost way to get your hair looking healthy within minutes. This also reduces hair breakage and repairs your broken ends. All you need are a few eggs, broken and mixed with hot water. Saturate your hair for a good 15 minutes and rinse

12) Vaseline Makeup Remover

A really cheap effective way to remove makeup is to use Vaseline. This doesn’t have lash breakage and is a quick method compared to expensive makeup wipes.

13) Homemade Mascara

I do not suggest doing this at all, especially since mascara can run at fairly low prices. However, for you DIY addicts, this is a possible way to create your own mascara. Inspired chemist, T.L Williams, had mixed petroleum jelly with coal dust to create a dark lash leading as one of the major contributions of finding Maybelline in 1915.

14) Baking Soda DIY Teeth Whitener

Simply mix one-tablespoon of baking soda with three drops of hydrogen peroxide and brush away.

15) Soda Pop Rolls

This is by far my favorite way to get ultimate hairstyles in a healthy manner. I have not attempted to do this, but I found it hilarious when my aunt told me what she used to do when curling irons weren’t around. Before hot irons were invented, much like the ironing for straight hair, women would roll their hair up around soda cans and hairspray. Once dry, you unroll layers of wavy curls perfect for a night out.

If you ever get the chance, I recommend trying one of these quick tricks and seeing how they turn out. It might be an inexpensive life-saver. 

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!