12 Ways to Make the Most of Mifflin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Whether it’s your first year or your last, the traditional block party is sure to end your school year on the right foot. Mifflin is our time to put the out-of-towner’s drinking skills to shame, to celebrate how amazing our school is and how grateful we are to have made it to the end alive. There is no one way to make the most of Mifflin other than living through every moment of it. That being said, these are some ways to make it the most memorable!

1. Wake up at 8 AM.

If you wake up past noon, you’ve already missed out on half the fun. Also, who doesn’t like a shower beer?

2. Don’t get too drunk that you black out and can’t remember it.

Remember that day drinking is not a sprint, it is a marathon. Mifflin would still be fun even if you were sober. Think of it like this: If this entire year’s worth of game days and partying was day drinking practice, Mifflin is the final exam you should be able to pass.

3. Take lots of pictures.

Not only will your camera roll be fun to scroll through the next morning, but you’ll have more than enough Insta-worthy pictures. You’ll love to look back on where you used to live, who your best friends were at the time and how funny the memories were.

4.  Buy a funny tank top.

It’s a cute keepsake to have forever, and to forever remind you what an awesome day you were a part of. It’s also a great workout tank to later wear at the SERF.

5. Invite your best friend from home.

Mifflin is a great time to show off Madison pride for your best friend from home. However, make sure they can “take on Madison” without throwing up everywhere and passing out by noon.

6. Meet up with that cutie you’ve been eyeing all semester.

You might just even run into him without even trying to. It’s a win-win situation. Either he’s totally been into you too or you never have to see him again anyway!

7. Jump in the lake.

If you still need to cross this off your Bucky Bucket list, you might as well do it today! Walking home soaking wet and smelling like lake is also a great excuse to take a shower before heading out for Part II that night.

8. Pregame to Revelry artists.

Revelry instantly becomes even more fun if you know most of the songs! Check out the lineup, download some of the artist’s’ best work, and therefore have a few songs to really look forward to at the show! Going to Revelry makes Mifflin an even more eventful day. Who said you had to choose? Go to both!

9. Don’t let napping impede on going out at night.

Sometimes a nap is absolutely crucial. If you’re going to nap, make sure you set an alarm so you can get ready to go out again at night. Nighttime is just as crazy as the morning, therefore missing out on any part would ensure FOMO (fear of missing out) the morning after.

10. Try something new.

Whether it’s your first keg stand (Freshmen do something crazy!) or the first time you ever jumped in the lake, do it! If there’s a time to try something new, college, more specifically Mifflin – is the time. Do it for Snapchat, maybe even post it to the Campus Story!

11. Pick an anthem.

We associate memories with songs, and a certain one can take us back in time to a specific moment. Whatever your favorite song is at the moment, blast it loud and don’t stop dancing every time someone happens to play it.

12.  Journal the next day.

Mifflin is sort of like an entire year’s worth of memories all happening in one day. Make sure you don’t ever forget the funny things that happened, as you’ll laugh at them years later. College goes by so fast,and there’s only so many Mifflin’s to experience. Remember Mifflin forever!

Mifflin is just as amazing as it is hyped each year, despite rumors that it “isn’t what it was in the past.” The years that you get to experience Mifflin as a student at this school are the years that it is “the best.” Why? BECAUSE YOU GET TO LIVE THROUGH IT. On that note, make sure you make this year’s Mifflin block party the most memorable!

Former production and media intern for ESPN, Joan, 23, gained a wide variety of experience working in on-set production, event coordination, behind-the-scenes business and marketing, and brand representation. In both office and remote location settings, she's enabled herself to adapt to any environment with focus and efficiency. She graduated from University of Wisconsin in 2019, earning her B.A. in Communication Arts with a focus in Radio/TV/Film. She's demonstrated a dedicated work ethic in her various part-time bartending jobs during her college years. Proving that she can juggle multiple projects at once, Joan's experience, success and drive is sure to be an excellent relief of unusual and effective helpfulness to any prospective employer. In her free time, Joan enjoys reading books on psychology, self-improvement, and the world of the film & entertainment industry. She also enjoys writing poetry, fashion-blogging, running, singing and attending various sports events.