12 Times New Girl Had the Perfect Reaction to College Myths

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Ah college… the time when you break out of your shell to dive into that boundless region outside of your comfort zone; the time when you leave the protective wings of your family to embark on one of the most exciting (and also one of the scariest) adventures of your life. You smell freedom; you see sunshine and rainbows… But did everything turn out exactly like what you had imagined? You have heard it, you are now witnessing. Let’s look at 12 ways that New Girl has perfectly described college myths.

1.         Everyone adjusts to college life immediately, and you will find people who you share common interest with right away.

We must have all forgotten about the first week of school when we kept our room doors open, hoping that someone would come invite us to go get dinner together— we’re all in the same boat! Truth be told, it is completely normal to feel out of place at first. Just keep being you— be weird, be crazy, be whoever it is that you are— and good things and friendships will come. There’s no need to rush it!

2.         Your dorm room will look like its straight out of a PB Teen magazine.

Remember that time when you went on a Target haul hoping that your room would look like all of those Pinterest and Tumblr posts you saw? Yeah, you might have a couple tapestries and some Christmas lights, but nope… Pinterest did not happen. But hey, you should never stop trying!

3.         Your choice of dorm is going to make or break your freshman year experience.

Screw the stereotype. Southeast or Lakeshore, it is what you make of it! Sure, being in a socially active dorm puts you in a good place to meet new people, but it doesn’t mean it’s the only place to meet people. Go explore; go meet people who don’t live in your dorm; join some student organizations; go a little nutty. Have fun! This is the last four years in your life when you can afford to have all the fun you can without almost any responsibilities.

4.         You can skip all the 8 A.M. (or not 8 A.M.) classes held in big lecture halls.

I’m not going to say that you can’t skip any classes at all, because there are SOME professors who go through exactly what is on the lecture Powerpoint that will later be uploaded to Learn@UW.  Plus, there are just some days when it’s impossible to muster the motivation to go to class… which is okay (in moderation). Here’s the thing though; there are A LOT of professors who make important points that aren’t stated in the lecture Powerpoints, so you might miss out on important information for tests and exam. Some classes even take attendance! But if you have a trustworthy note-taker who is in the same class as you are, and is willing to share his/her notes with you, then go ahead girl, turn off that 7:30 A.M alarm and keep sleeping, but only once in a while!

5.         If your roommate gets hit by the 80 or dies, you won’t have to pay for your tuition.

#Retweet. Absolutely no idea. Don’t go out of your way to try push your roommate in front of a bus though…

6.         The freshman 15 is inevitable.

Alright, I get it, you have all these delicious food choices presented to you, and Walgreens and the supermarket are basically like two steps away, but girl, CONTROL YOURSELF. You will be fine. Eat your greens, hit up the SERF, go run on the lakeshore path and stay active. I promise you you will be okay. Easier said than done, but hey YOU’VE GOT IT!

7.         You and your roommate will become either sisters or enemies.

I’m not saying that this isn’t possible, but becoming sisters or enemies is on quite the extreme scale of things. Sure, you might get into fights, but that doesn’t make you enemies. Or yeah, maybe you hang out a lot, but that doesn’t mean you have to limit yourself to only hanging out with her. The point is, you can be good roommates and get along just fine as long as you both work on coming to a consensus about things you disagree on. It is important to be   respectful of each other’s personal space and boundaries.

8.         Everyone is all about partying. If you stay in on a Saturday night, you’re basically irrelevant.

Sure, there will be people who goes out every weekend no matter the circumstances, but when you are just not feeling it (or maybe you’re just not about that life), you can always find a good amount of people who are down to Netflix and stuff some microwave popcorn in your face with.

9.         The level of academic difficulty you encounter in college can’t be compared with that in high school.

I’m not going to lie, the college workload could feel more stressful than what you had in high school in some ways, but I would not call it a lot more difficult (at least not yet).It’s just different. You have all this extra free time you have never had in high school! Keep in mind though, with great freedom also comes great responsibilities. So, make sure you are keeping yourself accountable,  being productive and making good use of your free time.

10.   Dining hall food is atrocious and inedible.

Just kidding… soon enough you will find yourself saying this. Sorry, but Gordon’s is just too good to resist.

11.   Everyone has drank before coming to college.

Truth is… you’ll run into these people a lot less than you think you will. There’s no shame in not having drank before. If you want to change that, however, you can easily find people who would change that for you.  But quite frankly, no one really pressures you into drinking if you just want to enjoy some sober fun. In fact, many people respect that. So you do you girl!

12.   You will have so much fun and you won’t get homesick at all.

So, we are all excited to leave home and not have anybody nag us about everything, but let’s be real-we can’t help but miss home. Especially when it comes to laundry day, or one of those rainy days when you just want to curl up in your blanket and chow down on your mother’s mac and cheese. So don’t forget to call home!

New Girl might have given you the perfect response to all of these college myths, but what really matters is how YOU defy all these myths, in your own way. So go on, run wild and explore the unlimited amount of options and possibilities, young folks!

Haidee is a sophomore from Hong Kong at University of Wisconsin- Madison pursuing majors in Journalism and Sociology. Inspired by the humor and kindness of Ellen DeGeneres, Haidee aspires to be a journalist who dedicates her talents to human interest story or lifestyle story reporting (aka. someone who eats for a living). On top of being a die-hard Patriots fan and a New Girl addict, Haidee is also the ultimate foodie.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!