12 Signs You’re a College Student with an Old Soul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

While college is supposed to be a time for people to be young, wild and free, some of us have always felt a little beyond our years. As kids, we read books for fun, always protested being at the kids table, and said a polite “no thank you” when the waiter asked if we wanted a kids menu: that’s right, we’re the old souls. Here are 12 signs that prove you’re really a grandma masquerading as a college student.

1.     You really enjoy going for long walks. Forget going for a run or playing in a pickup soccer game; when the weather’s nice, your favorite thing to do is grab a friend and go for a nice stroll.

2.     You don’t play games on your phone. If you do have a game app on your phone, it’s most likely Words with Friends because it’s the only game you fully understand how to play. Everything else is too complicated, and lets be honest, you’re going to suck at them anyways.

3.     Texting is not your thing, and you have an average response time of 45 minutes.

4.     You always bring a jacket with you in case you get cold—which is always.

5.     You never use words like bae or rachet. Not only do you not understand them (I mean, bae is barely a syllable, let alone a word), but they just sound wrong coming out of your mouth.

6.     You’re the mom of your group of friends. When you go out, you’re the one who makes sure everyone gets home, and you always check up on them to make sure they get home safe.

7.     It’s pretty rare for you to stay up past midnight during the week. You like an early bedtime and plenty of sleep.

8.     You watch the same shows and movies and read the same books over, and over, and OVER again, and they make you laugh and cry just as hard every time.

9. You’d rather wear shoes that are comfortable (and easy) to walk in than cute heels any day.

10. You can’t stand it when the TV or music is too loud. 

11. Sometimes there’s nothing you love more than a relaxing night in. 

12. You are not a fan of change. Whether it’s a new software update on your phone or a change in the menu at your favorite restaurant, you’re not happy. If you’re not used to it, then you’re not having it.  

To my fellow old souls, my advice is to let your inner oldie out! You’re friends might be young and stupid, but you’re young and wise—you’ve got the best of both worlds. 

I am currently a sophomore at University of Wisconsin- Madison pursuing a degree in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.  As Campus Correspondent of Her Campus, Wisconsin chapter I am passionate about current events and can be found browsing any and every article that pops- up on my Facebook newsfeed.