This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Like many others, I was thrilled that I was finally able to experience America’s best game day—at night! The first night game at Camp Randall in three years did not disappoint and here’s why!

1. The Dean’s warning email before the weekend festivities began

Everyone knows how hard Badgers go on game day around here, but I don’t think anyone really knew exactly what to expect as the weekend came upon us.  The Dean’s warning email was a little out of the ordinary, and while it was meant as a warning, many students took it as a sign to prove her crazy statistics wrong.

2. Forget about that alarm clock!

Don’t get me wrong—I love every chance I have to experience game day, but a little part of me dies every time I have to set an alarm to get ready for the 11 a.m. games. Not setting an alarm for the night game was beautiful thing.

3. Learn@UW was down

Remember how we all said, “I’m so happy the game is at night, I’ll take the time in the afternoon to get some homework done!”…Yeah, about that. Not only was everyone so excited about getting ready and the big game, the University was practically begging us to have fun by shutting down Learn@UW. OK, so maybe it was down due to technical difficulties, but it was a little too coincidental…

4. More time to get ready

I’m very impressed with all the cute outfits girls (and guys) throw together for the football games, but I was incredibly impressed with the outfits at the night game. We can all thank the late start that allowed for better outfits due to more time dedicated to planning.

5. Tailgates on Tailgates

Not only were we not incredibly rushed to hit the tailgates before the game, but also we even had time to tailgate hop! The opportunities were practically endless, and I feel bad for whoever didn’t take the time to tailgate because the tailgate scene before the night game did not disappoint.

6. Forget the sweat, forget the sunburn!

While it was a little steamy during the day at tailgates, it was almost perfect weather at night. This was the first game that I can remember where I wasn’t sweating from standing in the direct sunlight, or squinting, because the sun was directly in my face. Also, this was the first game I remember not getting a sunburn. What more perfect weather conditions could we have asked for?

7. By the actual light of the moon

“If you want to be a Badger, just come along with, by the bright shining light of the moon!” I don’t think the student section has ever sung that song at a more accurate time. Not only was it a perfectly clear night, the moon was hanging brightly in the sky allowing all Badgers and future Badgers to follow along.

8. “I Want It That Way”

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m currently starting a petition to have them play “I Want It That Way” at every home game. Don’t get me wrong, I love all the classic songs they play at the games, but I’ve never heard the student section happier with a song choice. Props to everyone that sang their lungs out at this song, I was right there with you.

9. Buttercup was sung TWICE

“Build Me Up Buttercup,” the instant student crowd favorite, was sung twice at the night game. What more could we ask for?

10. Everyone shining their lights instead of shaking their keys

Forget about jangling your keys in the air at this game, the crowd had an entirely new idea up their sleeves. Everyone, and by everyone I mean the whole stadium, threw up their cell phone flashlights and waved them before kickoff. Honestly, one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen.

11. Post-game nap? More like post-game sleep.

After all the festivities of the game were over and the parties that followed, many Badgers settled down for their ‘post-game’ nap, but the bonus about this nap was that it was a post game sleep, allowing us to become completely refreshed for the next day.

Even though I wish every game could be at night, game day at Camp Randall is still a fantastic time, no matter what!

Hi, I'm Abby Coppens, a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison. I'm pursuing a degree in Economics and Retail. In my free time, I really enjoying hanging out with my friends and family, doing homework, biking, and reading. I'm the biggest friends fanatic on the planet. Go Badgers!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!