11 Best Dairy-Free Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

For those of you out with a diet that lacks of dairy, you no longer have to endure the pain of not knowing what to eat. I recently started a trendy dairy-free diet in an attempt to prevent myself from gaining the freshman 15, so I do know a thing or two about lactose-free products. Here are 11 of the best delicious dairy-free snacks that won’t exclude you from fall and winter food festivities!

1. Oreos

As surprising as it may sound, Oreos are actually vegan and dairy-free. It’s may not be the healthiest option, but Oreos never fail in times cravings for chocolate and sweets.

2. Veggies and Hummus

Don’t let the creamy texture of hummus fool you; the dish is just made simply from garbanzo beans, lemon juice, garlic and olive oil.  

3. Olive Oil

Olive oil is not a snack, but it is the perfect substitute for butter. As a butter-lover myself, I’ve transitioned to using olive oil and salt instead of butter for the same taste.

4. Peanut Butter with … Anything

Peanut butter is another food that may trick you into thinking that it contains dairy. In fact, the only other ingredients — besides the pulverized peanuts — that makes this snack creamy are the vegetable oils. The best thing about peanut butter? You can pair it with almost anything. Peanut butter is tasty with apples, Triscuits, pretzels, toast and jam — so basically whatever you can scavenge up from your room.

5. Potato Wedges

If you’re in the mood to get a little crafty with your food, try making homemade fries or potato wedges. Start by slicing any potato of your choice, then marinate the slices in olive oil, rosemary, and garlic. Finish by popping them into the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until browned.

6. S’mores

Yes, you heard me! Chocolate, graham crackers and gooey marshmallow goodness. Dark chocolate actually contains no dairy whatsoever. It’s purely cocoa powder, vanilla and cocoa butter (It’s an oil, not actually butter.)  Pair these three delectable snacks together, and you will definitely fulfill all your fall and winter dessert cravings!

7. Mashed Potatoes

Who said Thanksgiving had to rain on your dairy-free parade? Thankfully, the universe provides several alternatives to get you through the holiday season. Substitute butter and heavy cream from the traditional recipe with chicken or vegetable stock and truffle oil. To make these mashed potatoes even yummier, boil the truffle oil with garlic for a garlic oil to infuse into your recipe.

8. Sorbet

Living in the dairy capital of America can be so difficult when you’re dairy-free, especially when ice cream shops are on almost every corner of the city. Luckily, you can replace ice cream with sorbet for a healthy and satisfying substitute. This fruity dessert can also cleanse your palate and reduce the likelihood of bloating. If you’re adamant about your ice cream craving, there are dairy-free ice cream solutions, too. So Delicious is a dairy-free and vegan-friendly ice cream brand that contains only three grams of fat per serving! Tofutti produces delicious vanilla ice cream sandwiches that’ll satisfy those cravings, too!

9. Homemade Cookies

It’s possible to give in to the mesmerizing, tempting aroma of chocolate chip cookies while on a dairy-free diet! As crazy as it sounds, using applesauce instead of butter does not take away from the amazing taste of homemade cookies. Make sure you’re using dark chocolate chips in these cookies — you won’t be disappointed.

10. Popcorn

Midnight snack cravings can be the easiest way to veer into your dairy temptations; but popcorn is here to save the day. SkinnyPop is light in calories and uses sunflower oil and sea salt for flavors that will curb those buttery cravings. Kettle corn is also dairy-free.

11. Jello and Pudding

You can prepare Jell-O instantly with just by adding in water and refrigerating. You can also use almond or soy milk for the same tasty result!  

Being dairy-free doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy tasty snacks. Most of the time, we can just substitute dairy products for non-dairy products in the foods we’re craving! Hopefully, this list can help you through tough times as you figure out what you can and can’t eat.

Gabby Schwartz

Wisconsin '21

Sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison