The 10 Types of People During this Global Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It is no secret to us now that the whole world is dealing with a massive pandemic. Between quarantining, social distancing, cancellations, and online school, it’s safe to say life pretty much has turned upside down in the past couple of months. Everyone is dealing with the effects of coronavirus, TRUE. But when it comes to how people are acting during this crisis, well that’s where the fun comes in, folks. Here are the 10 types of people that exist during the COVID-19 pandemic.  

The Hoarder 

Ahh yes, the infamous toilet paper famine of 2020. One day, history books will have this one in them. The hoarder is petrified of the idea that they might run out of necessities be it food, cleaning supplies, kleenex, or toilet paper, and the list goes on and on. The hoarder is trying to be prepared not scared. If they don’t leave that store with three grocery carts of supplies, then they’re NOT LEAVING that store. Period. It’s stocking season.

The Clean-aholic

The Clean-aholic does just that–clean. All. Day. Long. Motto: “Coronavirus doesn’t stop, why should I?” The clean-aholic does not mess around! If the virus somehow found its way into their house: adios! because it’s not lasting longer than 0.02 seconds in that house. Doorknobs, steering wheels, groceries are all getting wiped down at a minimum of 100 times a day. Can’t stop and definitely won’t stop until quarantine ends, and, let’s be real, probably a lot longer. 

The Walker 

The Walker likes to use their extra free time to get some more steps in. 10,000 steps were for the weak. When they get up, they go for a walk. Once they’ve worked for a while, they go for a walk. Before dinner, they go for a walk. If they’re bored, they go for a walk. These people plan on single-handedly concurring quarantine with simply their pair of walking shoes and the neighborhood sidewalk. All I’m saying is that the 2021 speed walking event better watch out because the world is PREPPING for that. 

The Up-To-Date One 

This is the person that knows all of the coronavirus updates. They periodically check the news and inform you of the current number of cases in the US, the world, your state, your county, etc. They will not stop updating you. Every new case is a reason to be ALERTED in their eyes. They also follow the government’s actions to a tee. Everything Trump says, they know, and you better believe they’re relaying all right to you. Yes, it can get annoying, but if you have ANY questions about the current state of COVID-19, go to this person, they have you covered. Just prepare for a solid four-hour rant in response.

The Fitness Freak

Quarantine=glow up season for the Fitness Freak. They plan on using all of this time to get into the best shape of their life. They’re working out every day, either by running or lifting weights. They’ve cleaned up their diet too, eating only healthy foods now. They want to come out of social isolation and look like a new person! Also, as a side note, they know if they keep training hard enough they will be able to outrun the coronavirus. No vaccine needed. This has yet to be proven, but hey, one can hope. 

The Sleeper

I think this one is pretty self-explanatory. The sleeper heard “quarantine” and then went back to bed. They spend their days laying in bed…and that’s pretty much it. If they’re not sleeping, then they’re definitely either on Tiktok or watching Netflix. They’re getting more sleep than they’ll need for the rest of their lives. The closest thing that their sleep schedule compares to is that of a cat. Sleeping and eating, and yep, that’s it. Happy quarantine. 

The Unmotivated College Student Doing No Work

Ok, so YES they have classes and homework and tests and quizzes and meetings and YES they have absolutely nothing better to be doing. Your point? This student honestly does not give a crap anymore. Zoom university is not worth their time or even their effort. If they can’t be in college in person, then, in their minds, college is canceled. Despite all of the emails from their chancellors informing students that college is most certainly NOT canceled, it’s canceled. They found out school was pass/fail and they closed their tabs. 

The Unmotivated College Student Begrudgingly Doing Work

This is the other type of unmotivated college student. They procrastinate work for most of the day and have very, very low motivation levels. However, when crunch time comes and they have a paper due in an hour, they can type as if their life depends on. They get it done and they get it turned in, but they really aren’t feeling it 80% of the time and literally need a flashing deadline to snap them back into school mode. They take frequent breaks after each lecture they watch because they really deserve it. They are a perfect combination of being perpetually stressed yet not caring at all at the same time

The Motivated College Student (?)

…. Not really sure… why this is on the list? Hm, yeah, never heard of her. If you are reading this and you’re a number 9, mad props. But yeah, not real, let’s move on.

The Heroes

In all seriousness, let’s talk about THE HEROES. As long as we are social distancing and quarantining to protect others, we all fall into this category. Everyone who is an essential worker, whether that’s police officers, grocery store employees, gas station workers, warehouse workers, and more, is a hero for working and risking their safety during such a scary time. Finally, the doctors, nurses, and medical professionals who are on the front lines of this battle, putting their own health in jeopardy to help others, are absolutely miraculous. Thank you for all that you do. 

Well, there you have it, the 10 types of people during this global pandemic. You know you fall into one of these categories (or maybe multiple), so which one(s) are you?  

Sophia Kern

Wisconsin '22

Sophia Kern is a current junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is majoring in biochemistry with a certificate in digital cinema production. Outside of Her Campus, Sophia enjoys running, spending time by the lake, and trying new coffee.
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.