On Saturday, the Badgers defeated the number one seed, Arizona, in overtime to advance to the Final Four, marking the third time in history that Wisconsin has made it that far in the NCAA basketball tournament. To celebrate, Sconnie fans flooded State Street, climbing up trees, shotgunning beers and surfing the crowd. In case you forgot (ha, yeah right) let me refresh your memory.
One word to describe it? Crazy. All basketball aside, here are 10 things crazier than State Street on Saturday.
10. Twerking- How do people do this? I’m convinced the people who can do it correctly are anatomically mutated. Last times I checked, hands are the only thing that were meant to clap. Defying science– crazy.
9. The fact that How I Met Your Mother is over- First Friends now this?! Watching Barney sweep through girls will forever be a favorite pastime, along with watching Robin’s “Let’s Go to the Mall” music video from her Canadian popstar past. The show was truly legen…wait for it…dary…and now it’s done.
8. Britney Spears- She says it herself: “You drive me crazy.” What a great song. I don’t know what crazier though, the fact that I used to listen to that song on a portable CD player or the fact that after all these years she’s still got it.
7. Amanda Bynes- Speaking of celebrities, it’s crazy how this Amanda
is the same as this Amanda.
Talk about Transformation Tuesday. Sidenote- when I showed my mom the second photo, she asked if that was me with a wig on. It’s not.
6. Auburn beating Alabama in football this season- For those of you non-football fans, Alabama was the number one seed in the NCAA with a perfect record and a likely ticket to their third-straight national championship. Until Auburn’s Chris Davis scored a 99-yard touchdown with less than a second left on the clock to end the tied game in the most remarkable field goal return in college football history.
5. The Real-Life Barbie- This Ukrainian model almost perfectly resembles the popular plastic doll. The only question is, where’s Ken? And how is she not hungry after living off of “air and light.” I’m no biologist, but I think photosynthesis is only for plants.
4. The Tucson Terminator- Arizona also flooded the streets after Saturday’s game, except instead of celebrating, they were rioting after their loss to Wisconsin. One student, nicknamed the “Terminator of Tucson,” not only defied police’s attempts to control the crowd but also defied nature by taking multiple pepperball shots to the stomach without flinching. Must be something in the water?
3. Music Festivals- Ultra, Coachella, SXSW, Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza– you know what I’m talking about. These festivals are laced (no pun intended) with the some of the nation’s best artists, lots of partying and wild days turned into nights.
2. This Winter- But really, when this misery end? Mr. Terminator over there in Arizona earns a nickname for sticking up to cops, in what, 80 degree weather? We all survived days with a windchill of 50 degrees below zero. Where’s our nickname?
1. ….Nothing- Let’s get real, nothing can compare to the moment when Wisco made it to the Final Four by one point and over 2,000 students celebrated on State Street. Except for maybe Mifflin when that was actually a thing, or that one time you impulsively went out on a Wednesday and ended up at Sake Bar freshmen year, or Freakfest, or how the Badgers made it to the Rose Bowl three years in a row or just football game days in general. We go to the greatest university ever.
If you don’t believe me, here’s the video again. Case in point.