10 Species That Could Go Extinct in Our Lifetime

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This list highlights only a few of the animals featured on the IUCN red list. “IUCN” stands for the International Union for the Conservation of Nature, an organization dedicated to the protection and conservation of natural resources. Their red list is considered the go-to reference for the endangerment status of thousands of species including animals, plants, insects and fungi. This article features ten well-known species; however, there are currently 2,996 critically endangered animal species on the red list. According to the World Wildlife Fund, “critically endangered” species face an extremely high risk of extinction versus “endangered” species, which face a very high risk. Either way, it isn’t great to be threatened with extinction at any level. Below are only some of the animal species that we may see go extinct within our lifetimes.

Sumatran Orangutan

Can be found in: Sumatra (island of Indonesia)

Population status: Decreasing

Red Wolf

Can be found in: North Carolina

Population status: Decreasing

California Condor

Can be found in: California Coastline

Population status: Increasing (since last assessed in 2018)

Cross River Gorilla

Can be found in: Nigeria

Population status: Decreasing

Pygmy Three-Toed Sloth

Can be found in: Small island off the east coast of Panama

Population status: Decreasing

Black Rhinoceros

Can be found in: Regions of southern Africa

Population status: Increasing (since last assessed in 2011)

Pygmy Racoon

Can be found in: Cozumel Island

Population status: Decreasing

Red-Crowned Roof Turtle

Can be found in: Freshwater areas of South Asia

Population status: Decreasing

White-Bellied Heron

Can be found in: Eastern Himalayan Mountains

Population status: Decreasing

Vancouver Island Marmot

Can be found in: West coast mountains of Vancouver

Population status: Decreasing

Common causes of a species becoming endangered or extinct include pollution, loss of habitat, climate change, loss of food source and over-hunting by humans. So, what can we do to help?

You can make little changes every day including consuming less plastic goods, actively recycling, buying ethically-sourced products and any other method to help reduce your overall carbon footprint. You can also volunteer your time and support to cleanup projects and organizations like the IUCN and the WWF. We all need to work together to save these species and leave the Earth better than we found it.

Lauren Ryan

Wisconsin '20

Lauren is a senior double majoring in Marketing and Operations and Technology Management, with a certificate in Supply Chain Management. 
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!