10 Reasons Why Your Dog Is the Best Friend You Will Ever Have

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Getting a dog at the age of eight years old was one of the biggest blessings I have ever received. A built-in best friend to make me feel like the most special girl in the entire world and who will love me no matter what. My dog Cashew, who is now 12 years old, is my best friend and has been there for me through the best and worst times of my life. Having her as a supporter and protector will always be something I am truly grateful for. Here are some reasons why your dog is the best friend you will ever have.

1. They always enjoy your cooking

Even if the meal you decided to make ends up being a total disaster, you will not feel like a failure because, without a doubt, there will always be one thankful pup who licks up every last bite. No need to throw away leftovers, because your two-day-old meatloaf is a five-star meal for your furry friend.

2. They always greet you at the door like you have been gone for years

Barking, and jumping, with an occasional squeal is the best way to walk into your house knowing someone is excited to see you. It doesn’t matter if you have been gone for 2 weeks, 2 months, or even just 2 hours—the reaction is the same. Your best friend missed you and they sure as hell let you know it.

3. They are the best dance partners

When the rest of the family is away and it’s just you in the house, all you have to do is blast your favorite childhood songs and you have the best mosh pit partner in the world. Run throughout the house singing with your dog barking right beside you. They never question your music selection and are always in the mood to move around.

4. They are your personal space heater

On cold winter days, there is nothing better than getting in bed with your dog, getting under the covers, and letting the heat from their furry bodies warm you up from head to toe. Pull them really close and don’t let go—and wait to begin sweating.

5. They are the best cuddle buddies

When you come from school or are even just having a bad day, curling up on the couch with your furry best friend and watching a movie is the perfect way to uplift your spirits and enjoy some much-needed relaxation time.

6. They give spontaneous kisses

I am not sure about other people’s dogs, but mine can sense when I am in need of some love and she just comes up to me and starts kissing my face. Dogs always seem to know when we need a little pick-me-up to get through the rest of the day, of course sometimes we do not even ask for it.

7. They do not expect perfection

Between your parents, teachers, and friends there are a lot of people counting on you to always be at your best, but your dog just needs you to feed them and love them. Your dog knows you are always doing the best you can and appreciates all your hard work.

8. They are always there for you

No matter how you are feeling, or what has happened over the course of your day, your dog will always be there to comfort you and make you feel better. When you achieve something great your dog will be there to celebrate and cheer you on because they are your biggest supporter.

9. They are the best listeners

If you are in a fight with your parents or going through something with a friend there is no one better to talk through your worries with than your dog. They are amazing listeners and never cut you off, making sure you can express yourself completely without any interruption.

10. They provide unconditional love

There is nothing like the feeling of knowing there is someone that loves you in this world no matter what you do. If you are 15 minutes late to feeding your dog they will forget about it and pretend like it never happened, giving you endless love and affection. There are so many times you can feel alone in this world, but having your canine best friend right beside you can make you feel safe and loved.

Without the love and support of our precious pups, it is hard to say where we would all be today. Most likely we would be eating disgusting leftovers, shivering throughout the winter, confiding in our stuffed animals, dancing alone and feeling an empty space in our hearts that is there just for them.

Danielle Shapiro

Wisconsin '21

Just your typical psychology major trying to tell you ways to improve your outlook on life. When I am not napping or on Facetime with my dog, I am either on Facetime with my dog or napping ;) Love to cook, listen to music, and you guessed it Facetime my dog!
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!