etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Reasons to Stay In Madison This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As if the stress of midterms and papers weren’t enough, figuring out where to work and live in the summer is a major decision students have to make as the end of the semester approaches. While all fellow badgers know that UW-Madison is the best place to live during the academic year, there are additional perks to living in Madison during the summer. Here are the top ten reasons to stay in Madison after the semester ends:

1. You can share a pitcher with friends and listen to live music at the terrace

Photo Credit: Jeff Miller

The Terrace After Dark offers live music four nights a week in the summer on the UW Credit Union music stage and shows movies on Mondays on a giant outdoor screen. This summer is an especially important time to take advantage of the beloved Terrace, as it will be closed from the beginning of September until summer 2016.

2. Babcock ice cream

Photo Credit: Jeff Miller

Although this ice cream is available year-round, there’s no doubt that it tastes better while you’re sitting in a Terrace chair and basking under the sun.

3. Dane County Farmer’s Market Photo Credit: Bryce Richter

The Dane County Farmer’s Market is a Madison tradition that offers a wide selection of produce, flowers, and other specialty products. Stella’s Spicy Cheese Bread is definitely a must buy for first timers!

4. Paddle boarding on Lake Mendota Photo Credit: Jeff Miller

If you want to do something a little more active than lay out on the docks, go rent a canoe, kayak, rowboat or paddleboard and enjoy the beautiful scenery while getting some cardio in at the same time. Two birds, one stone!

5. Bonfires at Picnic Point Photo Credit: Jeff Miller

In case you need s’more reasons to stay in Madison for the summer, having a bonfire with a group of friends and some roasted marshmallows at Picnic Point is a summer must-do.

6. Movies at Camp Randall Photo Credit: Jeff Miller

While badgers are used to jumping around in Camp Randall, this free event invites you to watch a movie on the HD video board while sitting on the field or in the stands. Moviegoers even have a chance to vote on the movie that will be played.

7. Laying out on the docks of Lake Mendota

Photo Credit: Jeff Miller

After another long winter and months of vitamin D deprivation, there’s no better place to hang out with your friends and soak up the rays than the docks of Lake Mendota.

8. Concerts on the Square Photo Credit: The Well-Tempered Ear

Grab a cooler full of drinks, a blanket, and a group of friends and enjoy some great music at the Capitol Square. This has been a Madison tradition since 1984 and happens for six consecutive Wednesdays during summer months.

9. Dane County Fair Photo Credit: Megan Elise

Unleash your inner child and visit the Dane County Fair, which offers five days of fun and entertainment in July. Be sure to feast on all of your favorite fair food too. (Bikini season is half-way over anyway!)

10.  Maxwell Street Days Photo Credit: Madison BID

This annual sidewalk sale features over 100 shops, boutiques, galleries and restaurants offering bargains on clothing, jewelry, artwork, food, drink and more along State Street and the Capitol Square shopping district. This year’s Maxwell Days go from July 17-19.

Whether you plan to live in Madison for the entire summer, or just plan to visit on weekends, you won’t want to miss out on these fun summer activities!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!