Style

10 Halloween Costumes You Haven’t Seen Before

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Has this ever happened to you? You spend all of October thinking about your costume only for the first Halloween party to sneak up on you, unprepared. You throw on a bodysuit and some animal print, show up… and 20 other girls are wearing the same thing. I’m over that. So I came up with ten costumes I haven’t seen a hundred times over. Ideas for you, you and your friends, even you and your better half; just keep reading.

Pennywise

This costume is so cute it’s scary. It’s super easy to pull off with the clothes already in your closet, and it can be as realistic or as cute as you want. Throw in a red balloon from the dollar store and you’ll float too.

The Bachelorette

We all watched and loved Hannah on The Bachelorette this summer, even when she eliminated Tyler C., so why not dress up as the next contestant? All you need is a fancy dress and some roses, and you’re sure to earn the First Impression Rose at any party you go to. 

Sexy Girl Scout

Throw it back to the old days with this adorable Girl Scout costume! Dig in the back of your closet for your old vest, throw on a bralette and a skirt, and you have a super unique and cute costume. If you’re going out with friends, you can be a whole troop of Girl Scouts. Plus, maybe you can make a few bucks selling cookies. 

Candace Flynn from Phineas and Ferb

If you’re a Gen Z-er, you might remember this classic show from our childhood. Super easy to throw together last minute, and if you have a brunette friend, y’all can team up as Candace and Vanessa. Or, if you’re going out with your man, he can dress up like Jeremy. It’s so easy to transition this costume into a group or couples costume, and so unique and creative. 

Heathers

Imagine pulling up to a party and walking in with your girls dressed to the nines as Winona Ryder and the Heathers. So easy to coordinate, and while the other girls are the Powerpuff Girls, your costume will be to die for.

Ms. Frizzle

Another throwback to childhood with this one, but super cute and unique! If you have a purple or blue dress, red hair and some construction paper, you can put this costume together in ten minutes. Any old Uber will become your Magic School Bus.

Morton’s Salt Girl

This costume is perfect if Madison is cold and rainy during Halloweekend, and still super cute! All you need is a basic yellow dress and an umbrella, and everyone will be salty they didn’t think of this costume first. 

Dora

I remember when my older brother went as Dora during his freshman year of college. Yes, my brother. Regardless of gender, this costume is super cute and super simple. Like others on this list, it’s so easy to transition into a couple’s or group costume and is fully a-Dora-bole.

Juul

This is such a funny idea! Literally all it takes is a black dress and some printer paper. If you go with a friend, you’ll be two juuls in a pod.

Poison Ivy

Everyone loves to dress up like Harley Quinn but they sleep on Poison Ivy. I love this costume and it can be paired with Batman or Batgirl super easily. 

Hopefully, you’re feeling inspired to try out one of these costumes, or they sparked your own idea. Regardless of who you are, you’re sure to look amazing come Halloween night!   

Angie Morin

Wisconsin '23

Angie is a current freshman at the University of Wisconsin Madison studying Economics and Computer Science. She enjoys politics, current events, fashion, film, and writing. In her free time, she likes to listen to the NPR politics podcast, relax and read in her hammock, and hang out with friends. Hope you enjoy!
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.