This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

When living in the dorms, it’s often convenient to reach for that cup of Ramen or log in to Uber Eats, but those are far from the healthiest options. It can be easy to let your health come second when living in the dorms; especially with all of the parties, tailgates and socials, all of that junk food can quickly catch up with you. That Freshman 15 myth? Well, it’s not always a myth! Making a few healthier choices and swaps doesn’t have to be difficult or time consuming. Here are 10 hacks for how to eat healthy while enjoying dorm life. 

Protein Breakfast Shakes are Your New BFF

Protein shakes (when made as a meal replacement) are an easy and quick breakfast that can provide you with the energy and nutrients you need to take on your morning like a boss babe! This is the easiest and quickest way to get a balanced meal when you’re running late for lecture! So put down that sugar filled breakfast bar and invest in a blender! 

Snack Responsibly

It’s all too easy to run into Kwik Trip and grab a bag of chips between lectures, but 30 minutes later and your stomach will be grumbling as you reach for another bag. Go to the grocery store and stock up on some healthy snacks that you can munch on throughout the day! Mixed nuts, veggies and hummus or an apple with almond butter will keep you satisfied until your next meal! 

An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor (And Freshman 15) Away

Green apples are easy and delicious snacks that are high in fiber, vitamins A and C and they can even help to prevent acne and wrinkles! They are low in fat content and even help to maintain good blood flow throughout the body. Carry an apple or two in your backpack to snack on between classes, or cut them up and eat them with almond butter and cinnamon #YUM! 

Dorm Buildings Have Kitchens For a Reason

While it may seem inconvenient to cook your own meals in the dorms, it can be a lot of fun. Get a group of friends together on a weeknight and plan to cook dinner together family style! It’s a great opportunity to bond and have fun while cooking a healthier meal than what the cafeteria has to offer.

The Nutrition Fact Sheets in the Dining Hall? Yeah, Use Them!

The dining halls provide nutritional fact sheets about each meal so that you have the opportunity to know exactly what it is you’re putting in your body… take advantage of that! It’s so easy to grab a meal in the dining hall without reading any of the labels, but the more you know the better off you will be. Make it a habit to read the nutritional facts and make healthy choices in the cafeteria by taking advantage of this awesome resource! 

Meal Planning is EVERYTHING

The number one thing that leads to unhealthy meal choices is a lack of planning. Take an hour or two on a Sunday night to research what the cafeteria is serving for the upcoming week and write down what you plan to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner each day. It might seem like extra work, but it will save you from making impulsive and unhealthy meal decisions!

Make Your Meal Schedule a Routine

Make it a habit of eating your meals at the same time each day. Our bodies are programmed by our circadian rhythms, and as a result, so is our appetite, digestion and metabolization. Studies show that eating your meals at the same time every day helps to maintain a low blood pressure and lower BMI, as well as preventing late night snack binging. 

Don’t. Skip. Meals.

It’s all too easy to skip breakfast or lunch when you are running across campus all day, but whatever you do: DON’T. SKIP. MEALS! This goes back to Hack #7, your body relies on routine, and when you skip meals, you throw off your body’s natural rhythms which includes slowing down your metabolism. When you skip meals or go a long period of time without eating, your body naturally goes into survival mode which causes your cells and body to crave food. This is why when you typically skip a meal you end up eating much more later on. If you find yourself running late and don’t have time to sit down for a full meal, Hack #1 is everything!

Portion Control

We’ve all been there, you grab a bag of chips while watching Netflix and before you know it, the bag is empty. It’s so easy to throw portion control to the wind, but it exists for a reason! One of the easiest ways to eat healthy in the dorms is to pay attention to the portion control labels! It would be crazy to tell you to avoid eating junk food all together (it’s all about that 80/20 lifestyle afterall!), but when you do choose the unhealthier option, make sure you are paying attention to the amount you are consuming!

Alcohol? Yeah, About That…

Now I know that no one wants to hear this, but the most common way that we consume extra calories is by drinking them. Excess drinking is the number one cause of the Freshman 15, and most people do not even realize it. It’s easy to eat healthy throughout the week and then throw all of that effort away with a weekend full of margaritas and bottomless mimosas. We all want to have fun on Thirsty Thursday, but instead of sucking down sugary mixed drinks all night, consider switching to lower calorie drinks such as vodka tonics and drinking a glass of water in between each drink that you have. This will not only help you prevent a nasty hangover, but it will also help you fight that Freshman, or let’s be honest, Senior 15. 

Eating healthy in the dorms can seem tricky, but with these simple tricks you can work towards a healthier diet! Try one or a couple of these great hacks- you’ll eat great and feel amazing!

Emma Cooper

Wisconsin '21

Emma is currently a junior studying creative writing and film studies. Emma is originally from the Madison area, and has years of Madison-living wisdom and knowledge to share (like where to find the best pastries! Hint: It's Batch Bakery). When Emma's not in class, you can find her either working out or impulsively buying concert tickets. She's been to over 60 concerts, so if you ever need music recommendations, she's your go-to gal! Emma has a passion for art, fitness, and health/wellness that she can't wait to share with everyone at Her Campus!
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.