free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

10 Awkward Interview Stories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Interviews are not easy. Everyone gets nervous. It can feel as if there is pressure to give a “good answer” or even at times the “right answer.” You can do your research and prepare all you can, but at the end of the day it comes down to people. Interviewers are trying to determine if you are a good fit for their team or company, which can boil down to something as subjective as personality at times. Enjoy these anonymous interview stories of times when interviews went less than smoothly.

The Rambler

“It was one of my first ever interviews. I hadn’t done any sort of practice questions beforehand. I thought I’d just wing it. Every sentence I started, I had no idea where it was going to end. My thoughts were all over the place and I rambled on. Not my best.”

Called My Bluff

“I had done some minimal preparation. I had skimmed the company’s website before my interview. During the interview, I briefly mentioned that I loved their products before moving on to my next talking point. I was not counting on my interviewer to ask a follow up question. ‘Which products specifically do you like best?’ she asked……I couldn’t remember a single thing I had skimmed. We sat there in silence for about 30 seconds until I finally pulled a product name out of thin air. She totally called my bluff. Super embarrassing.”

Vibe Check

“There was one time I could tell my interviewer just didn’t really like me that much. I was qualified for the job. Our vibes just didn’t click.”

Comfy?

“I once was interviewing a guy for a position and at the beginning of the interview he had perfect posture. Then a few questions in, he leaned back in his chair a little. A few more questions in and he sank a little lower in his chair. By the end of the interview this dude’s eyes were just barely above the table. I wish I was joking. It was so weird.”

Breaking Through the Glass…Lamp

“I like to pace during phone interviews to help with my nerves. There have been times where I pace too fast and actually get a little out of breath as I’m talking. There was also one time I knocked over a lamp on the ground mid-phone call. The person on the other end definitely heard the glass breaking.”

Betrayed by Breakfast

“I had an early morning interview, so I stuffed a bagel in my face before going (breakfast is important y’all). I finished the interview and later saw that I had a ton of seeds stuck in my teeth from the bagel. Completely distracting for whoever I was talking to. I was so annoyed.”

Just Plain Not OK

“After giving a detailed answer to a question, I had an interviewer imply that I was annoying and make a joke about ‘the trouble I’d cause my husband one day.’ UM, NO THANK YOU. I immediately reported him to the company’s HR afterwards. Not here for that sexist B.S.”

Tough Crowd

“Every joke or lighthearted comment I made completely flopped. Neither interviewer even cracked a smile the whole time. Tough crowd for sure.”

Not in a Sharing Mood

“I had to interview a person to work with me. To all of my questions this person would give a one word answer. It was like pulling teeth trying to get them to open up.”

Sorry…

“I was so nervous I struggled through every answer. I was really off my game that day. It was so bad that at the end of the interview I literally apologized then left. Yikes.”

Some interviewers will provide feedback on how you did and areas to improve upon if you ask after the interview is done. Use bad interviews as a chance to learn and improve for the next time. No one nails it every single time, and everyone gets better with practice. Plus, once the interview is over, it’s over. Sometimes the best thing you can do is just say, “yikes” and move on.

Lauren Ryan

Wisconsin '20

Lauren is a senior double majoring in Marketing and Operations and Technology Management, with a certificate in Supply Chain Management. 
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.