This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

We look up to strong women. Women who are independent and fearless. But how do we become one ourselves? Don’t get caught up in feelings of self-doubt and NEVER back down from any challenge. Remind yourself how great you are, because it’s true. YOU GOT THIS. You could throw a pity party OR you could ask yourself WWBD (What Would Beyoncé do)? Below are just 5 of the many times Beyoncé proves she’s more than the music.

• “I had a choice, to stand still or move forward, to let things happen or to make them happen. Every day I wake up I make a choice not to let the world decide for me. I decide for me. I decide to get going.”
  • “Independence comes from knowing who you are and you being happy with yourself.”
  • “I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world. I run my world.”
  • “When I’m not feeling my best I ask myself, ‘what are you gonna do about it?’ I use the negativity to fuel the transformation into a better me.”
  • “When you learn to love and accept yourself, when you know who really cares about you, and when you learn from your mistakes, then you can stop caring about what people who don’t know you think.”

Whether you’re a fan of Beyoncé or not, she’s someone to admire. Keep your head up, collegiettes! The only thing you need to be better than is the person you were yesterday. Don’t let the world define who you are. You’ll encounter obstacles, but I don’t doubt for a second that you can’t overcome whatever gets thrown your way. Look at your problem in the face and ask yourself, WWBD?

Maclane is a senior Integrated Marketing Communications major at Winthrop University from Columbia, SC. Most of her time is spent doing homework or working. Maclane is obsessed with pugs, but she's slightly more obsessed with her little brother who means the world to her. Pizza is her absolute favorite! More favorites include naps, time spent with her friends, and still laughing at a joke 5 minutes after it's told. Maclane is a phenomenal writer who is comfortable writing about uncomfortable subjects. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram: @maclaneriley and Snapchat: carleymacriley
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.