Writing for Her Campus When You’re Not a Writer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

My experience with Her Campus Winthrop has been purely positive! But I’m not the usual Integrated Marketing Communications, Media Broadcasting, Marketing, or English Major that often tends to make up most of the staff writers–I’m a Music Education Major, and my dream job is to teach Middle School Band. So why did I choose Her Campus?

Her Campus to me represents a diverse population of individuals sharing their voice. I love that they provide a positive platform for people to be heard. I also love that it’s predominantly women; I was attracted to the thought of being a part of a group of educated, writing women that share ideas and give each other feedback encouragement to better clarify their voice. 

Her Campus to me is all about finding your voice, and not being judged or criticized for it. Instead, it is encouraged to speak up and speak out. The women in the Winthrop University chapter took me in with open arms even though I am not the “norm.” They haven’t tried to change me, or my voice, have helped me develop and fine-tune it.

I have grown as a writer, and I have grown in my appreciation and understanding for what women that write professionally do. I have also gained new friends, new views, new perspectives, and new teamwork skills. I’ve met women that I otherwise probably would have never talk to, and have collaborated with women that I never thought I’d be working with.

Her Campus to me has been one of the best decisions I’ve made, and I can honestly say my life has been enriched by this experience. I have been truly blessed by this opportunity. Not only is it fun, but it allows you to grow as individual which ultimately strengthens the group. I truly encourage you to get involved with your local chapter! And, if there isn’t a chapter on your campus, then start one!

HCXO 

This photo of me was taken by one of my talented fellow staff writer/photographer/videographer friends, Tessa Benoit!

Instagram @OhSoBariSaxy SnapChat @OhSoBariSaxy Twitter @OhSoBariSaxy YouTube Cherise Ishman Made in Germany. Raised All Over The World. Army Brat. Christian. Saxophonist. Band Geek. Low Reeds Instructor. Model. Sephora Girl. Winthrop University Music Education Major. Writer for Her Campus Winthrop. John 3:30
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.