Women Have a Voice, So Use It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

When I was in middle school and early high school, I was always afraid to speak my mind. I let mean boys push me around and let them control me, I let girls say what they wanted to say about me and I didn’t speak up for myself. I let myself be beaten up emotionally because I just told myself to “shrug it off” and “forget about it because it’ll pass.” As a young woman, I was afraid of coming out of my shell and actually saying what needed to be said because frankly, I didn’t know I was allowed to.

It wasn’t until my high school boyfriend and I broke up the summer going into my senior year that I realized that I actually had to create some courage within myself. At that point, I had no idea what I was going to do. We dated for 2 years and when we broke up, I didn’t know who I was without him. I was about to start my senior year of high school and then the next year I was leaving for college, so I told myself that I needed to channel my inner “independent badass.”

That breakup really sparked my inner badass to come out. I always knew I had a voice as a woman, but I didn’t know it was there until that moment in time. I used my voice and I used it well.

Fast forward to my freshman year of college – I was intimidated. As a freshman, it’s easy to feel scared and small especially in a new place. You’re away from your family and you are in a brand new place. During my freshman year of college, not only did I question my major and plans in life, but I actually questioned my voice. Feeling small is something that nobody should ever feel, but when you’re in a new place and a new setting, it’s easy to feel like you don’t have a purpose. But here’s the key: you do have a purpose.

When I came back to college for my sophomore year, I made a promise to myself that I would never let someone or something make me feel inferior. Yes, there have been moments over the last two years that have made me feel stressed and scared and have tested me, but here’s the thing: I do not let it define me. My life is way too precious to let something put me down.

I realized that as a woman, I have the power to change the world. I have the power to inspire lives around me. There will be people who try to break you in your life. These people will test you, they will intimidate you, and they will push you to your limit. But here’s the thing: you do not let them. Don’t let these people control you, don’t let them shut you up, and don’t let them affect your life. You were put on this earth with a purpose, and that purpose is to fulfill your life and be happy no matter what.

As a woman, it’s easy to feel like you don’t matter and that you don’t have any self-worth, but I’m here to tell you that you are amazing and wonderful. Women should speak up and use that fabulous and strong voice of theirs. The voices are powerful, affecting, and inspiring.

Ladies, never let someone make you feel like you don’t have a voice. You have one, so use it well.

Follow Catherine on Instagram and Twitter.

Catherine is an ambitious twenty-something woman living in Rock Hill, South Carolina where she attends Winthrop University as a mass communication major. She is the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Winthrop, which she co-founded in November 2014. She has also been a member of the Winthrop chapter of the Association for Women in Communications, and is currently the President of the Society of Professional Journalists chapter at Winthrop. Since being involved with Her Campus, Catherine received an internship at Her Campus Media in Boston, MA. She also currently works as a Chapter Advisor for the company and writes about Grey's Anatomy each week for the site. Because of Her Campus, she has also received writing positions at many publications throughout her 3 years at Winthrop. Outside of her busy lifestyle, Catherine enjoys relaxing with her friends on the weekends and having Sex and the City marathons. She can't live without her dog, family, Cosmopolitan, friends, Starbucks, Instagram, The Bachelor, Grey's Anatomy and of course Chick-fil-A. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: @cathclowe!